Extras: Weekend before final exam

Exams, a common scholastic test, are of great significance to Japanese high school students. In this school, which is known for its "power supremacy", the examination has been given a more important position.

As a result, a week before the exam, the library, which was rarely used by people, suddenly became extremely popular.

On the weekends, as usual, Hiyori and I meet in the library, and unlike the students who are engrossed in reviewing, the purpose of our visit is so simple that it is difficult for others to understand - to read the books we like.

Such an orderly rhythm, never disturbed. "If homework is important, it must be done every day, not focused on a particular time."

Some might scoff at this, but Hiyori's excellent grades became the decisive argument for her statement.

"Is it this time again?" He seemed to say with some emotion.

At the beginning, such a scene did cause a lot of trouble. "In a place filled with anxiety, it is impossible to calm down and enjoy the masterpiece." She said.

Fortunately, there is not only a library where we can meditate in a nurturing high school with complete facilities. Soon, we found another more comfortable place.

"There's no way, let's go there today."

There was no objection, so the two came to a small cafe.

Hiyori has a habit that is not easy to detect. It took me a long time to realize that when reading a book, if I come across a sentence or sentence that I like, my lips will involuntarily open and close, recite it silently, and then show a little smile that is not easy to detect. . Of course, if she finds something more wonderful, the girl with the sparkle in her eyes will read it out softly and share it with me as a book friend.

"When I see any authority endowed with the right and the power to decide everything, whether it is called the people or the king, or the democratic government or the aristocracy, or whether the authority is exercised in a monarchy or a republic , I have to say:" Reciting such a long paragraph in one breath, Hiyori's breathing was slightly disordered, and after a pause, he continued: "I have to say: This is the seed for tyranny, and I Will try to get out of there and live under another legal system."

Put down the book and looked at me expectantly, as if waiting to hear some brilliant insights.

He racked his brains, trying not to disappoint Hiyori, but soon gave up and found a more tricky way.

"The writings of Tocqueville?"

He was a little surprised, but then there was a hint of admiration in his eyes.

"Kiyotaka kun's memory is really excellent!"

"Just happened to guess right."

"There are far less coincidences in this world."

"I think there are." Pointing to the book in her hand, "At least from my point of view, the words "On American Democracy" can be easily read."

"It turns out, it's just a trick."

"Just a parody of someone."

The fair face was slightly tinged with blush, "That time, it should have been a perfect set of rhetoric. It was seen through at once, and I am a little unwilling to look back on it."In fact, if he hadn't happened to ask the waiter at the cafe, he would have been deceived by that unexpected trick.

"Okay, Kiyotaka kun, let's talk about it."

Seemingly eager to discuss the Tocqueville masterpiece with me, I had no choice but to hold back.

Because of that man's ambition, in the white room, like other kids, I was exposed to many books related to politics. With his terrifying authority, that man has found many men of great renown to explain these works to us, and thanks to this, whether it be Tocqueville or Rousseau, or any other giant who influenced the fortunes of France, it seems to me All seem familiar.

Tocqueville, the famous French statesman was born after the great revolution that changed the whole world. Although he was an "ancient man" two centuries ago, his writings, even today, are equally deafening.

Equality, the eternally sought state of mankind, is so popular that its value needs no proof at all. In the volatile era of the 18th century, these two words have become the goal of people's unremitting pursuit.

From Bourbon to Napoleon, from kingdom to empire, France has struggled on this path. The establishment of the republic encountered numerous obstacles, and several restorations destroyed the success of the people's painstaking efforts. On the western European continent filled with gunpowder smoke, someone took the lead in producing such a thought.

Equality, what does it mean? Is it as flawless as those literati wrote? Why does the pursuit of equality and democracy open the door to despotism?

As an aristocrat, Tolstoy's vision was somewhat "conservative", worried that the equal "mediocrity" would replace the unequal "excellence", and he was worried about how morality would continue after the collapse of tradition.

However, his worries are not unfounded, nor are the so-called "aristocratic temperament" at fault, even today, the situation pointed out by Tocqueville still exists.

Under universal democracy, civil rights are lost. In Japan, the politicians and chaebols still dominate the political arena. On the other hand, the tyranny of the majority concerns people's worries in another form.

The great disasters that occurred in Europe in the 20th century proved the wisdom of the French philosopher, and even America, which Tocqueville enthusiastically praised, has gradually lost its former splendor, just as he had predicted in the past." What worries me most about America is not that it promotes extreme democracy, but that it does too little against tyranny."

"He died just as he was born, under a dictatorial Napoleon who was at the height of his power."

When I said this sentence softly, I couldn't remember where I heard it.

"As a portrayal of his life, Tocqueville's speculation is full of anxiety. Perhaps the opening remarks in "A Tale of Two Cities" can be used to describe him more appropriately."

Nodding knowingly, the well-known words of Dickens were recited by Hiyori.

"Probably, the sad story of a restless soul does not belong to Tocqueville alone."

Just an unintentional sigh, or something else? I prefer the latter. After all, Hiyori has unquestionably excellent insight. Perhaps, during the time together, she has more or less guessed some clues about my secretive past.

After thinking for a moment, I looked at Hiyori again, only to find that the other party was also looking at me, with a sunny smile on his face.

"Although it may not be of much help, but after all, it is the only best friend, if Kiyotaka kun is willing, I will do my best!"