conversations

-taylors Pov-

We are on the way home from therapy when Ellie asks awkwardly if she can ask me a question "of course. You can ask me anything" I tell her.

"I get really bad period cramps. Its only gotten worse with time. And it's so freaking embarrassing that I haven't wanted to tell anyone. But is there anything we can do about it?" she asks me really quietly and keep looking out of the window.

"no need to be embarrassed to talk about your period Ellie. Chances are whatever question you have I've had it too. And I can call your doctor right now and see if they might have a quick appointment because there are some things you can take to feel better" I tell her and pull into the side.

**

Sure enough at 2:30pm we are sitting in the doctor's office and the doctor comes in. Thankfully they could get us in today, so I just kept her at home all day instead of going back to school for just a few hours.

"what can I do for you today, Elliana?" Dr carol, our pediatrician asks her, and she shifts uncomfortably in her seat. "I get really bad period cramps and they are only getting worse"

"Okay, I will just do an exam and draw some blood" she says and type things on her computer. "I need to ask you some intimate questions. Do you want your mom to stay here, or should she leave the room?" the doctor asks, and Ellie looks hesitantly up at me.

"that's up to you sweetie" I tell her with a gentle smile, and she says that I can stay. I know what questions she is about to ask Ellie already.

"Have you had sexual intercourse? I need to ask because if you have, we will do an internal ultrasound but if you haven't, we will do it over your stomach" she asks Ellie. "I haven't. I'm a virgin" she says quietly. I kind of already knew she was, but you never know for sure with teenagers. I hope she waits for years because it's a big step to take.

She goes on and ask more questions about her period before she does the exam which goes well.

"I will call you when I get the results of her blood tests. But by the looks of it I think that starting a contraceptive will most likely help ease her pain. So if the blood tests don't show something else, I will prescribe it and you can pick it up from the pharmacy"

We get in the car "mom can you like not tell dad about this" she mutters but I can hear her. "We can keep it between us if that's what makes you the most comfortable. But your dad won't mind, he will understand it"

I know that joe would understand it, he is a pretty understanding guy, but I get that there are things she just doesn't want her dad to know. As hard as it is for me to keep things from joe, I will keep my mouth shut.

**

After dance and gymnastics, we are all at home eating dinner together. "Mom do you know what covid is?" kenzie asks as she eats.

"yes, it's a pandemic that we had about 12 years ago" I tell her. Honestly that has slipped my mind over the years, it was a hard time in the world, but we got so used to it at some point. It's still a sickness that comes around, but we have it much more under control now and it's not a big deal.

"Many many people died mom, and then they ran out of hospital beds. Did you see it?" she continues to ask questions. "We did, it started right around the time I got pregnant with Ellie. I remember it well"

"Did you get sick?" Ellie asks and I sigh "yes, we did, and it wasn't fun. You got sick too"

** flashback spring 2022**

Ellie has a terrible cough and I'm getting worried about her, not to mention that I'm starting to get lightheaded and feeling sick as well, joe too. I have a feeling that its covid, it's still a big problem in the world so my mom dropped off some rapid tests for us to know for sure.