surgery

** monday September 8th 2036 **

-taylors pov-

We arrive at the hospital for surgery day early in the morning. Kenzie is really nervous, but this is another step to getting her better. "mommy what if I don't wake up again" she says as we get her into her gown and onto the bed in the preoperative area of the children's hospital.

I don't exactly know what to tell her about that because it is a risk you take when you go under anesthesia, but I don't want her to go under that scared either. "Some people don't wake up, you're right about that, but chances are you are going to be fine sweetie" I tell her and sit on the edge of her bed and hold her hands.

"Your mom is right, we are going to think happy thoughts and we are going to be with you right after surgery" joe says and take her other hand. She is visibly nervous, but I think she is calming down now.

The surgeon comes over to give a final run down of the operation to us and sign her belly before he heads off to get ready for surgery.

I get dressed in a special outfit so I can come in with her as they put her under anesthesia so she isn't too scared. So I follow her into the operating room and hold her hand while they put the mask over her mouth and ask her to count backwards from a hundred.

-ellies pov-

I'm sitting in math class but today it's hard to concentrate. I know that kenzie just went in for surgery about half an hour ago so concentration on equations isn't ecactly what I want to be doing right now. What I want to do is be at the hospital and wait for her, but my parents said that its going to be a long surgery and its better for me and aurora to be at school and do normal things.

Aperently kenzie Is going to at least spend a day in the ICU and then a few days in the medical ward before she gets to go home. But that is if there aren't any complications from the surgery. Best case scenario is that she gets out of the hospital on monday, but we don't know for sure yet.

With surgery on the liver there are a lot of things that could go wrong, she could bleed out potentially and then it's the risk that too much of her liver is involved and she will need a liver transplant. In the case of that possibility the rest of us have gotten tested to see if we are a match for her, which I am. So if the surgery goes wrong, I need to decide if I'm willing to donate part of my liver. They say that it will grow out again, that's something that's cool about the liver, but I hate surgery. Obviously if she needs it I will give it to her, but I am just nervous about the possibility that she is going to have complications.

"Miss Alwyn are you okay? You seem distracted, and that's not like you" the teacher asks as she makes the rounds in the classroom as we are working on problems. "yeah... well no.. My sister is in surgery so I'm a bit distracted. But I will try to focus more" I tell her, and she gently pat my back and says that I should just do my best and that's enough today.

**

-taylors pov-

We have been sitting in the waiting room for hours when the surgeon finally comes out to meet us. "She did well. We got the entire tumor and it's sent off to pathology. The rest of her liver seem to be in working condition and they are bringing her up to the ICU now. So far things are looking good" the surgeon says and my so relieved.

My hand is tightly holding joes and a nurse leads us up to the ICU and show us where kenzie is. She isn't awake yet but there are two chairs there for us to sit with her until she wakes up.

Abigail is driving aurora to gymnastics and driving her home afterwards, so we don't need to think about that, and Alex is driving Ellie home. We don't know when either joe or I will be home, it depends on how kenzie is doing, but one of us is obviously staying here tonight.