please wake up

** sunday november 11th 2035**

-taylors Pov- 

Its early and I'm on my way to the hospital. Today its day four and yesterday they decided that they wanted to do tests and if they came out stable and no decline, they would wean the sedation this morning. They have told me that he probably won't wake up today, but I just want to be there just in case. Liz, my mom and dad, me and Austin have put together a plan where we rotate so someone is always there with him just in case he wakes up. We don't want him to not have family there when he wakes up, we don't want him to feel alone. 

I get to the hospital and sit by his bedside as I wait for the team to round on him. They do ward rounds from 8am to 12am and wish for the person that can make medical decisions to be there by the bedside. They can do it over the phone too, but they preferer to have me here so I can sign any papers if they need it. 

Being in charge of accepting or declining medical decisions Is hard because I'm not a doctor. My medical knowledge comes from watching way too much greys anatomy and the time aurora was in the NICU. Thats the extent of what I know. 

"Hi joe. I miss you" I say and take his hands "I wish you would wake up. I hope you wake up. Today they're going to take away the sedation and then they just need to wait and see. I need you to wake up joseph. I need you and the girls need you. The world is dark without you in it, you're the sun" 

He looks so peaceful; it looks like he is asleep even though there is a tube in his mouth and wires and iv's everywhere. His head is bandaged and there is a drain hanging out. It looks painful but it's important. I hope that he isn't in pain. They're giving him pain medication to keep him comfortable, but I just hope that it actually helps. Just the thought that he might be in pain without the ability to tell us makes me really sad. 

"Mrs. Alwyn" the head doctor says as the whole group walk into the room, and I say hi to them before they ask the resident to present the case just like they do every day. Hearing the same stuff over and over gets old pretty quickly but it's important so everyone is on the same page. 

"so the plan for today is to wean him off sedation and then we need to wait and see. The bleeding in his abdomen isn't growing and the drain output from his brain is minimal. It's time to wean him off the sedative and see if he wakes up. It might take days because of the trauma he has been through. And we don't know what kind of condition he will be in if or when he wakes up. That's what's tricky with brain injuries, we don't know the full picture before he wakes. We do know that all his limbs have signal as of now so that's a good sing in terms of risk for him being paralyzed" he explains to me, and I try to take it in. 

One step at a time, that's what I keep telling myself. First they wean him and then we need to wait and see if he wakes up, if he wakes up then we will see if he will have long term consequences. If I take all the steps in over me at the same time, I get way too overwhelmed, so I need to break it up into smaller pieces. 

The group of doctors leave while his bedside nurse stays and start the weaning process. I don't know how long the process of weaning will take; I didn't ask. But at least they are starting it and we will go from there. 

The nurse does her thing before sitting at her desk again and I get some more time alone with him. 

"So now we just need to wait and see joe. You probably can't hear me, but I'm here with you. You're not going to be alone; we are going to rotate being with you so you're not alone. We don't want you to wake up when no one you know is here. There are some hours during the day where they don't allow visitors, but other than that we are here" I tell him and hold his hand while I sit back in my chair.