marry me.... again

** Saturday august 23rd 2036 ** 

-taylors pov- 

Today joe and I are going to go pick up a surprise for the girls, but before that he said he wanted to take me somewhere. But I smile when I see us going up a familiar road and park in a parking lot, I know all too well... it's the park where we get to be alone, the park where we can be out in nature without everyone around. 

"so this is where you wanted to take me" I say with a smirk when we get out of the car and intertwine our fingers as we walk. 

"yes, so much has happened lately, and I just wanted to take you somewhere peaceful for us to have a moment alone in the midst of the chaos that is our life" he says and kiss the back of my hand as we walk. "well, you're not wrong. We need moments like this" 

We walk in silence, but it's a comfortable silence. After all these years we don't always need to say things to fill the empty space, we are just so comfortable in each other's presence that there is no awkwardness. 

He leads me down to a place where we have spent many hours together watching the lake and holding eachother close. The bench overlooking the lake where we can see children playing in the lake on the other side far away from where we are sitting. We can sit here and watch the beautiful nature in front of us, the mountains in the back and forest in front of it. 

"it's almost been 20 years love, and there is so much I've wanted to tell you but sometimes it's hard to find the time in our busy life. We have been through so much, God I can't even sum it up. Many professional things spent by each other's sides, but we have also had three kids, a miscarriage, the NICU stay, the kidnapping, the cancer, the car crash, the shooting, and so many little things in between that. God and those are just the things after we had kids. But there was so much before that too, like the cancelation, the masters, the pandemic. It's been a lot my love. But It's also been 20 years of just you and me, and I want to celebrate that" he says, and I have tears in my eyes thinking about all that we have been through. There has been so many things the last 20 years that its overwhelming. 

He tilts my head so I'm looking at him and take both my hands in his "I was going to find a cute way to do this, but every time I thought of something big and spectacular, I went back to how it started, how I proposed to you the first time. So Taylor Alison Alwyn, do you want to marry me again?" he asks, and I nod "yes you dork, of course" I say with a laugh. 

"Have I known you 20 seconds or 20 years. Now you can actually mean it" he says with a grin and I flick his head, but I can't stop the smile from growing on my face. 

There is no one I would rather spend my life with, it's just him and only him. We are like two pees in a pod, a perfect match. If I didn't have him there would be a part of me missing. Im a strong independent woman, I would be able to live without him because I don't need a man to live, but I don't want to live without him. I don't want to go a day of my life without him by my side because he makes me better, he makes me happy, he makes me who I am. 

"we have been through hell, so let's just hope that the future is brighter, easier, filled with good things and not just one crisis after another" I say and lay my head on his shoulder. "a wise woman once said that you don't always get everything that you selected on the menu that Is life, you get what you get" he says, and I know he is quoting my honorary doctorate speech. 

"She sounds like an excellent woman, you should go and marry her instead" I say and turn to face him so I can poke my tongue out at him. "I already did, and now I intend on marry her again" 

"I have the perfect date. The date when everything changed forever, September 28th" I say with a grin, and he kisses me softly "i was thinking that too. The day that neither one of us was the same again. The night when everything changed, the night when my life started again in a new way. The night when I got to call you my girlfriend and I fully intended on never letting you go"