The Merchant of the Deep Sea: Chapter 15

Leona's POV

Finally, I'm not groggy anymore. Since I've lost my sleep while hearing those herbivores snoring last night, I'm still unmotivated to even get up for today's practice.

But when these mutts are started swishing their tails on her like puppies with stars on their eyes, I couldn't get off this weird feeling in my guts.

It's not as if Herbivore is anything but a human with no magic. Yet somehow she have managed to get them all work and done, which is quiet even much better than last few months of me handling them alone.

As soon as we're finally done with our practice under the hot sun and all sweaty, Herbivore went up to us with towels and cold and bottled waters prepared after approaching other animals around us.

She's still smiling and congratulating them like as if we've won through efforts. But it somehow getting me all annoyed and not knowing why, asides from her being loud and all cherry.

"Here, Dorm Leader Leona! Drink up!" Herbivore cheers up while smiling and I groan at her, thanking her a bit.

I'm sitting on the bench too and gulping it in one go. I flinches a bit when I felt someone's rubbing a clothe on my face and seeing Herbivore's still smiling, wiping all of my sweats before letting my guard down again.

Well in all honesty, it was kinda comfortable and soothing to my nerves. Ever since I've let her petting me after witnessing Herbivore petting the certain fresh-baby and hearing her petting Ruggie, it seems like a customary for me to feel her soothing me for some time now.

But still this Herbivore never knew how dangerous she's doing so, especially doing it to people like me. Not that I'm even going to gobble her up whole or even trying to do anything nonsense. This human seems too kind of like a trouble-magnet, especially around guys like us.

"Working out first thing in the morning feels better than I thought." The grey-raccoon sighs in relief and Herbivore's done wiping my sweat before sitting next to me.

"Right? I woke up an hour earlier to go jogging." The fresh-baby even added proudly, exclaiming and smiling.

"I-I think that might be going overboard..." The raccoon trails off and sweat dropping, awkwardly.

"So this means Savanaclaw is already getting ready for the next year's Inter-Dorm Magift Tournament? You're gonna make for great rivals." The raccoon asks again, sounded curious and he cheekily smirks.

"Ahh, that's right. Y'all don't know about that, do you? There's a tournament that's even bigger every year in May." Ruggie interrupts after drinking his cold water, busy wiping his reeking sweats and these Herbivores reacts shockingly.

"Ffgna?! There are tournaments bigger than the Inter-Dorm?!" The gray-raccoon yelps loudly, their eyes widens and I'm letting out a huge sigh.

"The Inter-High Tournament." I mutters louder and they turn to me while I'm just relaxing myself by leaning my head on Herbivore's shoulder, not that she even minds though.

"Inter...-High Tournament?" Herbivore murmurs curiously, asking me softly like an innocent cub and I just nodded.

"Like the name says, it's a Magift Tournament between different schools." Ruggie explains and sitting next to Herbivore's vacant side, leaning his back while nonchalantly relaxing.

"Our school is pitted against Royal Sword Academy every year." I said again, still leaning on her small body and just recharging.

"Hoohh~ We've heard that name before!" The grey-raccoon exclaims so loudly while I took a peak on him sitting on Herbivore's lap before she nods, starts petting his head.

"There are a bunch of different schools dedicated to magic in Twisted Wonderland. But, Night Raven College and Royal Sword Academy are called "the two great schools of magic". They're that prestigious." Ruggie also added and I agreed with just a tired nod.

"What kind of school is Royal Sword Academy?" The grey-raccoon asks again curiously and I smirk a little when I push myself away from Herbivore's shoulder.

"A school filled with only pompous flower boys." I answers to them nonchalantly and shrugging while these herbivores giving me dumb looks.

"Shishishi~ Yeah, yeah. From buildings to the uniforms, it's all grossly shiny. A white uniform is going to show the smallest stain, y'know. I don't care how prestigious it is. I wouldn't go even if they asked." Ruggie chuckles tauntingly, grinning teasingly about those flowery boys from RSA.

"But hasn't Night Raven College lost to them in the Inter-High Tournament for the past 100 years?" The fresh-baby interrupts and Ruggie was taken back while I growls annoying at him.

"Guh, th-that's...! It's only been 99 loses! This year makes 100 and we're definitely going to crush them." Ruggie stutters even and pouting like a puppy besides Herbivore.

"The feeling I got from watching them play on TV was... The individual plays from the Royal Sword Academy players were great. But more than that... their team's plays were especially impressive." Fresh-baby mutters randomly, humming while I don't give it a damn.

The moment I see stars in Herbivore's eyes sparkling in amazement besides me, it kinda making me even more annoyed at this darn fresh-baby wolf for mentioning them in front of her.

"Hm? Hold on. An Inter-High means... Other dorms can play against Royal Sword Academy, not just Savanaclaw?" The raccoon intervenes again and Herbivore snaps out of her thoughts.

"That's right. Tryouts are held and the team is made from students from any Dorm." I sighs at him and I turn curiously to Herbivore, noticing her humming as if she's thinking silently.

"Last year, everyone fought over which position they wanted and it caused a huge scene." I spat and drinking my water until  I've finally emptied the whole bottle, crumbling it with my tight fist.

"That's what I like to hear! You gotta steal the position you want with power! I'm totally gonna get picked to be on the school team!" The raccoon proclaims boastfully and this Herbivore lightly chuckles on his antics.

"That means you have to train daily to become a starting player and show off your skill." The fresh-baby said to the grey-raccoon, thinly smiles while ruffling the monster's head playfully.

"Your chances of being on TV are much higher than the Inter-Dorm, so it's a great time to show off your abilities!" Ruggie agrees while that is making me smirk at them, secretly.

How to weed out the competition and get my seat as a starting player? I'll have to start mulling it over now.