Tactician of the Hot Sands: Chapter 18

3rd. Person's POV

"G-GAK?! You're the one who asked for advice, y'know! Why can't you?" Grim shockingly asks him as they'd recover from Jamil's shocking rejection.

"My family, the Viper Clan, has been serving the Asims for generations. Do you think they'd forgive a servant who turned on their master? If Kalim's father found out I did something like that, my family would suffer the consequences. Sorry... but I can't put my whole family's well being on the line for this." Jamil explains with a frown and turning away from them, apologetic.

"B-But...! That's not something a child should be responsible for..." (Y/N) protests utterly in disbelief, frowning and feeling conflicted.

"It can't be helped. This is the fate of those born into the Viper Family." Jamil frowns again while looking away from them before a silence ensues shortly.

(Y/N) feel a slight sadness radiating from Jamil and she hesitantly placed her hand over his in between them. Jamil is taken away from his wallowing and turn to look at (Y/N) whose eyes sparkling with sympathy for him, causing him to send her a slight reassuring smile and squeezing back her hand.

"I get why you can't challenge Kalim to a duel but, a Dorm Leader shouldn't pushing his residents around like this y'know! Riddle was out of control, but Kalim is even more nonsensical y'know." Grim interrupts suddenly and the protests around them begun.

"Yeah! We can't keep you with him anymore!" An upperclassman agrees and others nodded vigorously behind him.

"Dorm Leader Kalim isn't meeting the requirements for his role as Dorm Leader and going against the very spirit of Scarabia!" A Scarabian freshman also added and (Y/N) turns to look at them, quizzical.

"Requirements...?" (Y/N) mutters out loud, blinking dumbfounded and surprisingly curious.

"Each Seven Dorms here at Night Raven College has different requirements that the Dorm Leader has to meet to be the most suitable. If you aren't the best match for those requirements, then you don't have the right to be Dorm Leader." Jamil explains and the Ramshackle Duo turns to him again, blinking.

"A duel is an easy way to figure out who is best. The requirements for what is "suitable" differ depending on the Dorm. For example, I've heard its tradition for the person who makes the strongest poisons to be the Dorm Leader in Pomefiore." He added too and they went shudder by that thought.

"G-Geh!! That's a scary Dorm! Then, why was Kalim chosen?" Grim shrieks frightfully before asking again, curiously.

"It was decided by the previous Dorm Leader. He was picked based on Kalim's work and virtue... That choice made me happy." Jamil confesses and a small smile appears as he whispers proudly.

"That was because of your help! We all know it." An upperclassman protests again and both Jamil and the Ramshackle Duo look back at them, surprised.

"Why didn't they choose you?!" A freshman agrees, asking them utterly confused.

"Don't hate on the previous Dorm Leader. There's no way they'd pick me over the heir to the Asim Fami—Ah!" Jamil scolds them sternly, but just then he cuts himself off when he realizes.

"Huh?! There you go again with the "Asim Family"!" Grim grumbles annoyingly at him when (Y/N) look around to see the tension becoming thicker.

"I didn't know there was something like that... So, it's just nepotism?!" One of the members mumbles utterly in disbelief.

"They're dirty... The Asim Family is too dirty!" Another Scarabian enrages, ultimately in disbelief.