Chapter 19

19.

Devyn

"Devyn, you've got this. Why are you worrying?" Stephen asked me.

"Because." I said tying my hair up.

"Because it's James." Draymond said and I nod. "Exactly."

After learning that I'd be doing James' surgery, I needed a bit of encouragement so I called the team.

"Y'all know how she is about Wise, Moses, and JK." Klay said and everybody nods.

"James is one of my babies, he's one of the youngest. I may only be a little older than them but I've always had that protective nature with them." I explained.

"We know." Juan says nodding. "Because that's how we are with you." He adds on.

"I can't fuck up this surgery for him, he's born to play basketball." I said shaking my head.

"You're not gonna fuck it up. You're gonna go in, do what you have to do, stitch him up, and then he's okay." Wiggins said.

"We trust you, Coach said he trusts you when you called him before us, Bob and Joe trust you, and most importantly Wise trusts you." GP said.

"I know, I know." I said glancing to Jordan's box seeing he's still paused. He hasn't said one word yet...

I sigh switching my badge from my shirt to my pants looking up at the sky. "Alright Steele, you got this." I said.

"Damn right." Stephen said.

"You're gonna be fine." Klay said.

"And he's gonna be fine." Dray said.

"Everybody's gonna be fine. And then, once you're all done, we're gonna get food." Juan says and I laugh as all the guys groan.

"Is that all you think about?" I asked amused.

"Partially, but I also wanted to cheer you up." He says and I smile.

"Thank you, all of you." I say and they nod.

"Anytime, we're just a phone call away." GP said and I nod.

"I know, I love you guys." I said.

"We love you more, now go be a kick-ass surgeon." Stephen said and I smile. "I got you."

We all say our goodbyes and then hang up. I take a deep breath sitting my phone in my locker before shutting it. I stand up running my sweaty palms down my pants before walking back and forth.

I close my eyes mimicking the whole procedure using my hands. "It's textbook, Steele. You've got this." I mumbled.

"Make a small incision, insert the camera, find the problem, come up with a solution." I repeat over and over to myself.

After figuring out the possible problems and running through every solution to each one, I open my eyes. I nod to myself tying my shoes before I go to walk out the locker room.

I swing the door open to see Jordan standing there about to knock. "Hey." He said.

"Hey?" I said confused backing up as he walks in the locker room shutting the door behind him.

"What are you doing here?" I asked confused.

"I'm here for you, and Wise. But mostly you." He said and my face softens.

"I know you're nervous, I heard the whole conversation. I was driving over here to see if I can help you calm down." He said.

"Oh." I mumbled looking down at my feet as I blush. "Thank you." I said genuinely.