Chapter 29

29.

Devyn

Day 3

It's my last day off and I have to make my decision by tonight.

I took Kai to school and decided to use this final day to clear my head.

I head to some place I haven't been in a while. On the way there I stopped at a store picking up something before continuing my drive.

30 minutes later I arrive stepping out the car softly shutting the door.

I walk on the grass making my way to my destination. When I finally reach in I smile lightly.

"Hi mama, hey daddy." I whispered looking down at the headstone.

Kendall Rivers & Dean Steele
Beloved Parents and Partners
Gone but never forgotten

"I missed you guys." I say wiping the dirt off of it before placing the flowers in the holder.

"So much has been going on." I said getting comfortable on the ground. "But I'm sure you already know that." I said laughing a bit.

"I um, I lost someone. Very dear to me and Malachi. She looked out for us, and now she's gone.

If I'm being completely honest with you guys, I'm not as sad as I should be. And I don't know if that's a bad or a good thing." I reveal running my fingers through my hair.

"I'm kind of content and relieved that she's no longer in pain or suffering anymore. I can't even imagine what she was going through those last 7 months and then hiding it from Kai and I.

I loved Ms. Hattie so damn much, and I'm so happy she's in a better place." I say smiling lightly.

"I also think I might not be feeling too depressed because of the people in my life." I said truthfully.

"There's uh, Malachi of course. That little boy brightens my day like no other. There's the team and their wives and kids, they're a bunch of characters." I say laughing.

"And uh, there's Jordan." I said looking down playing with the grass.

"He makes me really happy. He isn't my boyfriend or anything, he's just a close friend." I said. "I don't really think of him like that." I add on.

I look up in the tree above me seeing a bird. He tilts his head to the side before flying down to the ground. I don't move as I stare at him curiously.

He slowly moves closer and I smile. He chirps at me and I raise my eyebrow. "What?"

He chirps again hopping furiously. "What? I didn't do anything." I said.

He stops hopping looking at me and I look at him shocked. "I did something?" I asked him.

Good God, I'm talking to a bird.

He chirps at me again before looking around the sky. I look up as well not seeing a damn thing. "What am I looking at bird?" I asked.

He chirps again hopping to the headstone pecking on it. After a few seconds I come to a realization. "Mom? Dad? Are you trying to talk to me through a bird?" I asked laughing.

"That's interesting. Anyways, back to what I was saying. Jordan's a nice guy don't get me wrong, but I just don't think we'd be a good fit." I said and the bird chirps loudly hopping again.

My jaw drops when I finally realize what they're saying. "You think I'm lying?" I asked shocked and the bird pecks the headstone quickly.

"I'm not lying!" I said and the bird doesn't stop. I groan running my fingers through my hair.

"Yeah, he's attractive, and he makes me happy. And he cares about Kai and I. And I blush every damn time I'm around him. But that doesn't me- oh my god." I stop in realization.

The bird stops and looks at me quietly. No...it can't be.

"I like Jordan?" I asked and he chirps once.

"I like Jordan." I said coming to terms with it.

The bird flies away and I watch it until it disappears out of sight.

"Not what I was expecting."

_

After talking about random things I finally bring up the topic I came there to rant about.

"So, I got a job offer." I said as the wind started blowing. I pull my coat tighter to my body before continuing.

"They want me to be the team doctor for the Warriors." I said smiling a bit. "But I would have to spend the next six months studying for my boards." I told them.

"And then I'll be an Attending Surgeon." I said genuinely happy about the thought of that.

"And I think I'm gonna take it. I've talked it over with my loved ones and they discreetly told me to take it but that the choice was still up to me at the end of the day." I said.

"But Jordan straight up told me to take it without giving it a second thought." I said shaking my head.

"It's like, I want to take it. I really do, but I feel like I need some kind of sign that this is what I should be doing, you know?"

"I need to know this is the right decision for me." I finished nodding to myself.

I sit in silence for a few minutes before my phone starts ringing. "Hello?"

"Is this Ms. Steele?" A male voice rings out.

"Yes sir, who am I speaking with?" I asked.

"This is Mr. Davis. I'm calling to inform you that the cremation process is finished and you are free to pick up the remains anytime between 9:00am and 9:00pm within the next week." He said.

"Oh, thank you. I'll probably be by today, if not it'll be first thing in the morning." I say.

"Sounds great, take care Ms. Steele." He said.

"You too." I said hanging up.

"Mama, Daddy, it was nice catching up with you guys. Thanks for sending me an angry bird to confess my feelings." I say dusting my pants off standing up.

"I have to make my decision by the end of the day, I hope my sign comes sooner rather than later." I said.

"I love you guys, and I'll be back soon." I said kissing two fingers placing it on the headstone.

I walk back to my car sitting there for a moment. I take a deep breath before starting the car.

I head out the cemetery making my way down the road. I've been driving for about 20 minutes when I get back to the city.

I get to the stop light leaning my head on my hand. I tap my fingers against the wheel in rhythm.

I actually confessed my feelings for Jordan today, out loud.

Maybe I should tell him.

Maybe we can go on a date or something, take things slow.

Maybe we could-

My thoughts are cut off by a horn blowing. I gasp seeing a semi truck right beside me run through the red light hitting a car with full on impact causing it to crash into a nearby store.

I hear a bunch of screams inside the store and I can't unstrap my seatbelt fast enough.

"Someone call 9-1-1!"