Chapter 70

70.

Devyn

Dr. Miller has been following me around all day and we've been bumping heads but he's lucky I don't wanna lose my job...

Or else I would've thrown him out the window by now.

We're currently prepping for the hip replacement and I went to my locker room to have a bit of alone time.

I straighten out my scrubs sliding my rings Jordan gave me off my finger.

I don't think I ever took them off.

I grab a safety pin putting the rings on it and pinning it to my scrubs.

I take off my crocs putting on my sneakers Kai got for me mumbling to myself.

"Alright Steele, we got this. First surgery in 8 months, piece of cake." I said rolling my neck around a few times.

I say a quick prayer before standing up in front of the mirror pinning my hair up to put my cap on.

"I am strong, I am kind, I am beautiful. I light the world with my smile. I am a leader with a POWERFUL voice, and I will defeat all odds and remain humble doing so." I whispered to myself.

"I am black excellence."

I take a deep breath before walking out the room. I see Dr. Miller waiting for me and I nod to him. "Ready?"

He nods and we make our way down the hall. We open the door and scrub in silently before walking into the OR.

"Good evening everyone." I said as the nurses put my gloves and gown on.

"Good evening Dr. Steele." They said as I walk over to my patient. I take a good look at them memorizing their features before I glance to the wall closing my eyes thinking to myself.

I'm gonna do this procedure correctly. And you're gonna-

"What is she do-" Dr. Miller asked but is cut off.

"Shut up." Everybody says in unison.

You're gonna be healed and get to go home to your family. Just like I get to go home to my family. Because you deserve that...

I open my eyes glancing at the wall again before speaking directly to Dr. Miller.

"Sometimes it's okay to not speak Dr. Miller. It's okay to just sit and watch." I said and he looks at me for a moment before nodding once.

"Scalpel." I said and they pass it to me.

"Making an incision." I announce before taking a deep breath slicing through the layers of tissue.

I let out a breath as everyone claps. "Congratulations Dr. Steele." The anesthesiologist said and I smiled under the mask.

My first cut in 8 months...

"Thank you."

_

We've been in here for about 15 minutes and I'm working silently with a few minor conversations here and there.

"Dr. Miller, what are the risks of hip replacement surgery?" I asked out of the blue.

I didn't look at him as he answered. "Blood clots, infection, fracture, dislocation, change in leg length, loosening of the joint, and nerve damage." He said and I hummed.

"Good job." I said as I glance up to him. He nods firmly and I look back down.

"How's the kids Dr. Steele?" A doctor asked.