Chapter 94

94.

Devyn

A week later...

This past week has been pretty normal. Smooth surgeries, no complaints. But...today is the day.

I'll be giving two residents the job of a lifetime.

I'm currently in surgery with Roman, Elijah, and Dr. Avery doing an ankle replacement.

We're replacing both ankles so we needed multiple hands on hence why Dr. Avery is in here.

After working in comfortable silence for a while Dr. Avery breaks it.

"You ready for playoffs?" He asked me.

"I'm ready to travel." I said laughing.

"Yeah the breaks are amazing." He said and I nod.

"I wish the kids got out of school earlier so they can come on the road with us." I said.

"At least they get to go to home games, and the entire finals." He said.

"Absolutely, absolutely. They love watching those boys play." I said smiling a bit right before the door opens.

"Doctors." A nurse said at the door.

"Yes?" We said in unison.

"We have 34 traumas incoming." She says.

"I'm sorry, did you say 34?" I asked curiously.

"Yes ma'am, there was a plane crash." She said.

"Any fatalities?" Dr. Avery asked.

"No." She said and I let out a breath I didn't know I was holding.

"Then let's make sure there aren't any." I said passing Miller the tools so he can stitch the patient up along with Dr. Moore.

"How far out is the first ambulance?" Dr. Miller asked.

"There are 4 that'll be here in exactly 10 minutes. They're coming from UCSF Med because they didn't have any more beds available." She said looking at her watch and I nod.

"One of them though, you know Dr. Steele." She says and I furrowed my eyebrows. "I do?"

"Mhmm." She nods. "He requested to be transferred here. So he's one of the first people coming." She said.

I look at her confused still trying to figure out who the hell it is. "You two shared a hell of a story. He's now 21 years old, but he was 19 when you cut off his leg." She said and my eyes immediately soften.

"Murray." I said and she nods.

"He's conscious, don't worry. Just a few broken bones. He just said to tell his personal doctor he's on his way so clear her schedule." She said and I nod.

"Of course." I said genuinely.

"Why does this boy go through so much? He's only 21." I said shaking my head just as Roman and Elijah finish up.

"I have no idea, but I'm happy he has a doctor like you who genuinely cares about his well-being. Everybody deserves that, and you give it to them Dr. Steele. You're a great person."

_

We finished up the surgery and damn near every doctor in the hospital is waiting in the ambulance bay for the ambulances to pull up.

"Alright everybody listen up." Chief said making his way outside.

"This plane crash was horrific, but luckily there were no fatalities. Which means every patient that comes through this ER is still alive. Let's keep them that way." He said and everybody nods putting their gloves on.