Chapter 39

39.

Devyn

The next day comes around and I took Zuri and Kai to school before heading to work a little early.

I scan in and the only people who are here is security. I make my way up to my office before pulling out my laptop.

I get everything set up how I want it because I plan to be in here for a few hours.

I tie my hair up as I begin writing some sample questions on the board.

After a few minutes I get a phone call. I glance at the caller ID before answering it. "I'm ready." I said.

"A 14-year-old boy is brought to the emergency department after being hit with a baseball bat on the lateral side of his leg immediately below the knee." Dr. Avery's voice rings out.

"Is there dorsiflexion of the foot?" I asked writing a whole different topic on the board.

"Nope. He's unable to do that. Which nerve is injured?" He asked.

"The common fibular." I answer.

"What's the other word for it?" He asked.

"Peroneal." I answer quickly. "Good, if it comes up at all during your boards, make sure you say peroneal. They'll fail you for that question if you don't." He said and I nod.

"Yes sir."

"A 4-month-old boy with severe combined immunodeficiency receives a bone marrow transplant. Six days later, he develops a widespread, erythematous, maculopapular rash over the trunk." He explains.

"What does the skin biopsy show?" I asked opening one of my textbooks.

"Diffuse vacuolar degeneration of basal epidermal cells with a mononuclear inflammatory cell infiltrate." He says and I nod.

"Hm." I mumbled flipping through pages. "Are you cheating Steele?" He asked and I shake my head.

"No sir." I said definitely lying to him.

"Stop flipping the pages." He said and I stopped. "Think about the question before you just jump to the books." He adds.

"What's the cause of this baby boy's rash?" He asked slowly.

"Immunodeficiency, bone marrow transplant, erythematous rash over the trunk." I mumble to myself closing my eyes.

"You know this Steele." He said encouragingly and I nod. "Hold on, I got it." I said holding my finger up.

"The bone marrow is attacking him." I mumbled before opening my eyes. "It's graft-versus-host disease." I said confidently.

"That's correct." He said and I can hear the smile in his voice. "Mark that page, we'll go over it again." He said and I nod sliding a piece of paper onto the page bookmarking it.

"How are you, Steele?" He asked.

"I'm good, just been studying my life away." I said tossing a paper ball in my hands.

"It'll all pay off in about 4 months." He said and I nod. "I hope so." I mumbled.

"It will, you're gonna do just fine on those boards. Trust me." He said.

"I trust you." I said.

"How's the team?" He asked.

"They're good. Been working hard, Steph's been multitasking with school." I said absentmindedly.

"That's good, I'm happy for him. How's Jordan?" He asked and my mind immediately gets flooded with the events of last night and I blush profusely.

"He's good." I said nodding. "He's been working nonstop because he wants that playoff run." I add on.