Chapter 97

97.

Devyn

"You want me to beat her ass?" Hazel asked and I laugh shaking my head.

"No Haze, you're not beating anyone's ass." I said.

"Hm, I still feel like I could beat her ass. Let me at her." She said.

"I'll help." Ayesha said.

"Well you know I'm down." Kamie said.

We're currently at the game and the boys are just warming up while the kids are down on the court with them.

I told the girls about what happened and now, as you can see...

They wanna fight.

"Nobody's fighting anybody. I just got tired, you know?" I asked and they nod.

"Like the past 8 months I've just been trying and trying and trying. But it just was never enough." I said.

"Like, you cut open a patient with no anesthesia or anything. What in the world were you thinking? Did it not occur to you that he could possibly die? What if I wasn't in that hallway watching them run past with blood bags?" I asked.

"But you WERE in that hallway. And thank God you were, or else that man would have been dead." Mariah said and they all agree.

"Look, it was enough. What you did for them was MORE than enough. They just didn't know how to use their resources and the blessings God was giving them." Ayesha said.

"Yeah, there's only so much you can do for them." Mychal said.

"They have to learn to help themselves now." Kamie said.

"Enough about those bird brains, let's enjoy this beautiful playoff run these boys are about to have." Hazel said and we nod agreeing.

"Amen to that."

_

The game begins and Utah gets the first five points. There's about 9:56 left when Jordan brings the ball up crossing through two defenders to get the hook shot layup.

"Alright Poole, I see you." I mumbled as they run down the court.

A minute goes past and Utah is up 11-6. Jordan passes it to Steph and he makes a turnaround fadeaway shot.

"Damn 30." Dr. Avery said.

"That shit was cold." I said as they run down the court.

First quarter winds down and there's 5 seconds left on the clock when Jordan starts dribbling the ball between his legs.

"Oh lord, he's about to play for the baddies." I said and Miller choked on his drink as Klay and Steph turn around looking at me amused.

"What?" I asked innocently.

"Really?" Steph asked laughing.

"He is." I said shrugging. "Watch this." I said before we turn back just in time to see him step back shooting the three and splashing it in with 0.3 seconds left.

"Told you." I said simply clapping for him as he runs down the court.

"You're a trip." DeMarco says turning around laughing at me.

"He saw the baddies." I said laughing. "I don't blame him. Beyoncé is sitting over there." I said pointing to the other side of the court at her.

"Girl what you talking about?" Jordan asked coming over to us as the buzzer went off.

"You playing for the Queen baddie herself over there." I say motioning my head behind him and he turns around before laughing.

"Shit I'm bout to go shoot a three too just to get her attention." I said and everybody laughs.

"Oh shut up."

_

The game is over and the boys won Game 1 104-92 so everybody is in great spirits.

We head home for the night and had dinner. Jordan and I are now washing the dishes while the kids are asleep.

"Jordan." I said after a moment of silence. "Hm?"

"I'm proud of you." I said truthfully and he looks down at me raising his eyebrows. "Well, that was random. But I'm proud of you too." He said.

"No I-" I cut myself off shaking my head laughing a bit. "I didn't say it to make you say it back. I said it because I feel like I don't say it enough." I explained.

"I'm proud of everything you do for not only our family, but for yourself. I love the way you take care of us, even though I object to it all the time.

But I love how you carry things. How everything you do is for the kids or for me or something to better our relationship.

But, I hate how you rarely spoil yourself when Lord knows you absolutely deserve it. You deserve all the good things in life but the only thing you care about for yourself is playing basketball." I said.

"That's because I don't need anything else. I have the career of my DREAMS, having title runs with my guys.

And while doing that I have a beautiful woman and two beautiful kids in that crowd cheering at the top of their lungs for me." He said and I smiled.

"What more could I really ask God for?" He asked.

But little did we know, God had other plans in store for us...