Chapter 21

21.

Devyn

"It looks like there are some loose bodies in here, causing the swelling." I said out loud and a doctor nods writing it down.

"So we're just gonna flush them out and clean it up." I said pulling one of the tools out his knee.

I insert the suction carefully as the door opens. I quickly look at the anesthesiologist and he scoots his chair closer to hide Wiseman's face. "Dr. Steele." The doctor said.

"Yes?" I said keeping my eyes focused on the monitor.

"We have three patients coming in." She announced.

"Is it my brother?" I asked.

"No ma'am."

"Is it any of the Golden State Warriors?" I asked absentmindedly.

"No ma'am."

"Is it any of their family members?" I asked.

"No ma'am."

"Is it Hattie Belle?" I asked glancing to her.

"No ma'am."

"Then I'm not coming down. Get Dr. Kelsey and my interns on it. Nurse Michael will run any scans you need. If it's Ortho related call Dr. Avery if he isn't in surgery. If he isn't available then page Dr. Scott." I said and she nods.

"Yes Doctor." She says walking back out before turning around. "Oh!"

"Yes?" I said glancing at Wise seeing his eyebrow twitch.

"Who are all your interns?" She asked.

"Page Elijah Moore, you page him they'll all come running." I said and she nods walking out.

"Dr. Mitchell." I said to the anesthesiologist never taking my eyes off of Wiseman.

"Yes?" He said and I see his eyebrow twitch again.

I quickly pause my movements. "Not enough anesthesia, he's waking up." I said.

"Oh! I'm sorry." He said quickly grabbing the injection.

"Nothing to be sorry for, he's larger in weight so he needs a heavier dose because it wears off faster." I said and he nods. "Push two more doses." I said.

His eyes start moving under his eyelids and I grab his leg firmly. "Calm down." I whispered to him.

"Injecting two more doses." Dr. Mitchell said and I nod.

"Alright bubs, 10 more seconds." I whispered rubbing his leg softly.

I count from 10 to 1 quietly before I gently run my hand across his eyebrow. He doesn't move so I let go of his leg sighing in relief.

"Continuing with the suction."

_

Jordan

"7 months. Stage 4 Melanoma" She said and my eyes soften.

"Are you getting treatment?" I asked and she shakes her head. "I don't want any treatment." She said.

"Why not?" I asked.

"Jordan, I'm 86 years old. And I don't want any treatment that'll keep me on this earth longer. I'm tired." She said and I look at her finally seeing the exhaustion in her eyes.

"Have you told Devyn?" I asked.

"I can't. You know how she is, she'll run buck wild trying to find a cure for me." She said and I nod.

"So I wear long nightgowns to hide these rashes from her." She says slightly pulling up her gown and I see all the rashes that I caught sight of earlier.

"She already goes through so much, I don't need her stressing herself out even more over little old me." She says softly.

"She's the closest thing I have to a daughter. And that little boy in there is the only grandchild I have.

Other than my newfound baby Zuri." She says and I glance in the room seeing Kai sitting there watching tv with Zuri's head in his lap while she sleeps.

I smile looking back at her. "This is gonna break her." I said seriously.

"And that's why I need you there to pick up the pieces. That girl adores you, you can see it all over her face. You're the only one who can keep her grounded after I'm gone." She says.

"I-"

"I'm not asking you to be with her. One day the stars will align for that. That'll happen on God's time, but I want you to be there FOR her. She's gonna fall into a dark place, and I need you to be that light to bring her out." She said.

I run my hand down my face taking this all in. I avert my eyes and look at her. She smiles lightly at me and I nod. "I got her, I promise." I said wholeheartedly.

"I know you do baby, I know you do." She said.

"How long do you have?" I asked.

"They said I probably won't make it to the new year." She said and I close my eyes looking down realizing the new year is in exactly two weeks.

"That's why I want to see these babies every chance I can. Because I don't have much longer." She said and I nod.

"If you need anything..." I say sternly.

"I'll call you, I promise." She says and I nod.

"You're a good man Jordan, Devyn's lucky to have you."

_

Devyn

"Alright, we're done with the suction." I said taking it out his knee.

I move the arthroscope around seeing everything looks clear. I smile brightly nodding to myself. "We're good guys. Everything checks out." I said and everyone claps.

"Let's take out the scope and close him up." I said gently sliding out the scope.

"Dr. Steele, what's the estimated recovery time?" A doctor asked me.

"Well, with the meniscus tear still recovering and this procedure adding time to it, I say he should be preparing to get back out on that court in mid March." I said happily.

She nods writing it down and I look up silently thanking God. "Alright, stitching up the incision." I said out loud.

"Good job Wise, great job." I whispered to him.

Life is going pretty good right now, I don't think anything could ruin that.

Don't you think?