Chapter 35

35.

Devyn

2 weeks later

It's now February 13th and I'm currently in my office with the team as they're helping me study.

I toss the basketball around as Steph begins speaking. "A 23-year-old woman with bone marrow failure is treated with a large dose of what?"

"Rabbit antithymocyte globulin." I said immediately and he nods.

"Ok, now ten days later she develops a fever, lymphadenopathy, arthralg..."

"Arthralgias." I said and he nods before continuing. "And erythema on her hands and feet. What is most likely the cause of these symptoms?" He asked.

"Immune complex deposition in tissues." I said. He nods and I turn to Klay.

"A 35-year-old man comes to the physician because of pain and swelling of his right arm where he scraped it on a tree branch 2 days ago." He starts.

"What's his temperature?" I asked cutting him off.

"101." He said and I nod motioning him to continue.

"Examination of the right forearm shows edema around a
fluctuant erythematous lesion at the site of trauma." He continued.

"Is the area tender to palpitation?" I asked and he nods. "Extremely."

"Ok, ok." I said and he continues. "What's the primary mechanism of the development of edema in the patient?"

"Uh." I said glancing out the window to the court. "Is it degranulation of eosinophils?" I mumbled to myself. "No no, that's not it." I said shaking my head pacing back and forth across the room.

I glance to the left seeing Jordan staring at me intently. "Breathe." He mouthed and I nod closing my eyes.

"Right forearm, edema around a lesion, tender to palpitation." I mumbled tapping my fingers against my leg.

After a few seconds I stop tapping opening my eyes to see them staring at me awaiting an answer.

"The primary mechanism is the separation of endothelial junctions?" I said.

"You asking or telling?" Jordan asked and I look at him as he raises an eyebrow at me. "Telling." I said looking back at Klay. "I'm telling." I said reassuring him and myself.

"That's right." He said and I smiled. "That was the last one." Dray said.

"Yes, Thank God." I said and they all stand up. "Thanks guys." I said gratefully.

"Anytime, same time tomorrow." Juan says and I nod.

"Curry, assignment first thing tomorrow." I tell him and he nods as everyone heads out back to practice.

I turn around to see Jordan still sitting on the couch. "One more question." He said waving the flash card.

"Oh, we missed one?" I asked and he nods.

"Alright, I'm listening." I said walking over to the whiteboard writing down the section I'll be studying tomorrow as he starts speaking from behind me.

"22-year-old male comes to the emergency room with symptoms of a broken heart.

Sudden and severe chest pain, irregular heartbeats, shortness of breath, weakening of the left ventricle of his heart." He explains and I furrow my eyebrows turning around to see him right in front of me.

"I-"

"What's the proper treatment?" He asked holding the card up in between his fingers.

"I-I um." I stuttered and he raised his eyebrows awaiting an answer. "I don't know." I said.