Chapter 22

22.

Devyn

It's now December 26th and things are amazing. I've been on cloud nine from my successful surgeries, Kai is doing great in school, and everyone I care about is healthy.

Christmas was yesterday and we spent it with Ms. Hattie.

We even got some surprise guests...

Flashback

Kai and I are currently up in Ms. Hattie's apartment opening gifts when we hear a knock on the door. "Oh, I'll get it." She said getting up off the couch before walking to the door.

"Woah! This is awesome!" Kai exclaims holding up the wrestling action figures that Ms. Hattie told me to pick up for him.

I hear two familiar voices before I see Zuri run through the living area straight to us. "Kai!" She said wrapping her arms around his neck.

"Hey Zuri, what are you doing here?" He asked.

"We wanted to come see you! Hi Devyn." She says coming over to hug me. "Hi sweetheart."

After a few seconds I see Jordan and Ms. Hattie come through the door and we lock eyes. "Merry Christmas." Jordan said to me.

"Merry Christmas." I said softly.

"Well isn't this just a wonderful Christmas?" Ms. Hattie said walking over to the couch as Jordan helps her.

"I couldn't have asked for a better one." She says smiling to herself.

I smile glancing to Jordan seeing he has a distant look in his eyes.

I squint at him trying to figure out what's wrong and he turns away.

That's weird...

Flashback over

So yeah, despite the great Christmas, I can sense something is wrong.

And Jordan is hiding it from me...

But I pushed it to the back of my mind to make sure Kai had a good Christmas.

Right now I'm currently at work while Kai is over Ms. Hattie's place.

I'm currently sitting at the desk in the ER working on some paperwork when the door opens. I glance up to see Klay walking in.

He makes eye contact with me and smiles before walking over. I smile as he walks around the desk and I stand up.

"Hey Thompson." I said as he brings me into a hug.

"What's up Steele?" He said as we pulled away.

"Just doing some charts. What's up with you? Are you okay?" I said looking over him and he nods.

"Yeah, just coming for my last checkup before I get back out on the court." He said smiling and I'm pretty sure my face is mirroring his.

"I'm so happy for you." I said patting his back and he nods. "It's about time to have you back where you belong." I add on.

"Definitely, just two more weeks." He said and I nod.

"You'll be there?" He asked me and I nod. "Of course."

"You're seeing Dr. Avery?" I asked as we walked down the hall towards the elevator and he nods. "Yeah. You know where he is?" He asked.

Before I could answer I hear a voice behind us. "Right here." We turn around to see Dr. Avery smiling at us.