Chapter 31

31.

Devyn

We're currently in surgery and everyone is working silently.

"So, can I ask you a question?" Dr. Avery asked.

"You just did." I said never taking my eyes off my patient.

"Very clever Steele." He said playfully.

"Well I did go to Harvard." I said and everybody laughed. "And Hopkins." I said smirking under the mask.

"Alright alright. Seriously though." He said and I nod. "The decision you had just now, was that the same decision you made this morning?" He asked.

"Honestly, yeah. The answer was just clearer at the end of today than it was at the beginning." I revealed. "I talked to a lot of people about it, a lot of options were weighed.

And it always seemed like the good outweighed the bad with this job offer. I made a list with the team and there were only about 3 cons on it. You wanna know how many pros it was? 50, 50 damn pros.

And yet I still didn't know what to do. I talked to Jordan about it and without hesitation he told me to take it. That was when I knew I wanted to take it." I said seriously.

"I went to the cemetery this morning to see my parents. And I told them that I was gonna take it, but that I just needed some kind of sign or something.

And you know what happened? A fucking semi truck drove right past me into Murray's car knocking him into the fucking store. And if that's not a sign, I don't know what is." I said laughing a bit.

"This job is...the best. But it's also the worst. The shit doctors go through every damn day, is exhausting. Not only for us, but it's exhausting to even look at." I said shaking my head.

"Like, did you guys see Jordan's face? I hated that damn look. He looked at me like I was gonna break any second." I said angrily.

"I didn't call him, he was already here." Dr. Avery revealed and I stop my movements.

"Why was he here? Was he hurt?" I asked throwing him questions left and right.

"No, not at all. He's fine." He said and I furrow my eyebrows. "Then-"

"He needed some advice. And I gave it to him." He said shrugging. "He also came to get his blood drawn." He said and my eyes soften.

"Noted." I said laughing shaking my head.

"So no Dr. Steele, I didn't give you a damn babysitter." He said repeating my words from earlier.

"Sorry about that sir." I said. "It's fine. You don't work for me anymore." He said and I look at him sadly.

"I'll be back." I said seriously. "I just need a break." I add on.

"And I know that better than anyone." He said and I nod. "I'm so happy you're taking this job. You have so much potential Steele." He whispered and I smiled.

"Thank you Dr. Avery." I said genuinely.

"And next time I see you, you'll be getting on that plane heading to New York to take those boards and become an Attending Surgeon." He said sounding proud as hell.

"I want to thank you for being a great mentor. I wouldn't have had the opportunities I do without you." I said to him.

"And I want to thank you for being an outstanding protégé. I've never believed in a student quite like I believe in you Steele.

You're gonna be a world renowned surgeon, and I can't wait to be there cheering you on." He said and I could hear the smile in his voice.

"Don't make me cry over this man's leg." I said and everyone laughs.