Chapter 103

103.

Devyn

I sit in the room by myself in silence just drumming my fingers against my thighs.

"Alright Steele, listen. If you are pregnant, it's fine. This baby is gonna be loved no matter what. God is going to handle everything that he needs to handle within me.

He or she is gonna be healthy, and have a long and happy life. They're gonna be fine. They're gonna be just fine." I whispered as the door opens.

I don't even look up to see who it is as they gently close it behind them. "Steele."

I glance up to see Tasha standing there with papers and a small smile on her face.

"Congratulations, you're pregnant."

I raised my eyebrows grabbing the papers from her softly as a small smile comes to my face. "Really?"

"Mmhmm. Actually, you're very pregnant." She says and I furrow my eyebrows.

"What do you call very pregnant?" I asked curiously.

"You have already went through your first trimester. Steele, you're 17 weeks pregnant." She said.

"17 weeks?" I asked and she nods.

"Does that sound right?" She asked. "Because I checked and that dates back to around Valentine's Day." She said.

"Oh yeah, there's definitely a baby in there." I said recalling the events of Valentine's Day as we laugh.

"Can I ask you a question though?" I asked and she nods. "Of course."

"Why am I not showing? Why did I still get my period in March and April?" I asked curiously.

"Well, it's pretty common for a smaller person like yourself to not show as fast as someone who's 5'9 and like 190 pounds, you know? And as for the periods, they were light weren't they?" She asked and I nod.

"Yep, that first month was implantation bleeding and the second was any leftover from that first month. But it's nothing for you to worry about. Have you been drinking?" She asked.

"Nope. Not even when I went to Jamaica surprisingly." I said and she nods. "Mother's who don't exactly know they're pregnant kind of get those feelings and those signs around this time. Which is why you probably felt like you weren't up for drinking." She explains.

"So um, you said I was 17 weeks. Is it possible I can see them?" I asked hopefully.

"Of course you can." She said softly and I smile.

She goes to turn the light off leaving out getting the machine before pushing it in.

"Alright, let's see the beautiful Baby Poole." She says and I smile.

She pulls my shirt up placing the gel on it before grabbing the wand moving it around on my stomach.

She turns the screen on before smiling. "Ah, there they are. Hi baby." She coos.

"Look Steele." She says turning the screen around and my eyes immediately water up.

"Oh my god." I whisper breathlessly. "They're so tiny." I said.

"Don't worry, once you eat how you're supposed to, Baby Poole will get nice and big." She said and I nod.

"That's my baby." I said happily.

"That's your baby, Steele."

_

After my ultrasound, I went back to work very very happy.

We're having a baby!

Oh my god, I have to tell Jordan. I have to tell the kids. I have to tell...

"Steele, there's been a train crash. 22 injuries." Chief said running past.

"Ugh." I groaned running down the hall.

I head to the ER seeing multiple gurneys being pushed in and lots and lots of blood.

"We need blood bags!" Someone yells.

"Can I get an Ortho surgeon over here?!"

"He's having a heart attack!" Someone else yells.

I quickly throw my hair in a messy bun. "Alright munchkin, please hold out for a couple hours until I can get us some food." I whispered before jogging over jumping right into action.

"Hi, I'm Dr. Steele. I'm gonna take good care of you."

_

After a long exhausting day I finally head home to get dressed for the game.

I head to the store to grab a pregnancy test so that I can surprise Jordan, Kai, and Zuri.

I make it home having the urge to pee. I take this time to grab the pregnancy test heading to the toilet.

I pee on the stick before finishing up flushing the toilet.

I wish my hands before turning the shower on waiting for it to get hot.

I hum a song as I head to the kitchen. I open the pantry looking for something to snack on. I decide to grab a cup of ramen.

I quick make them before hopping on the counter doing my "happy dance" enjoying them.

Suddenly, I remember something. "Oh my god."

I hop off the counter heading to our bedroom. I open the nightstand drawer grabbing the envelope Akoni gave to me.

Her words suddenly ring through my head.

"Don't open it, until you've had a life changing event."

"Well, this is definitely a life changing event." I mumbled opening the envelope.

Devyn,

Congratulations on the baby.

I saw your maternal aura as soon as we shook hands. I also know the gender, but I'll leave that for you to find out. Congratulations to you and your family on this beautiful blessing that's coming.

I don't know if you picked up on it but I told you about the mango lemonade so you wouldn't drink alcohol with your sisters. I know you also noticed that I was the one that gave you the Limestone Massage, when it was supposed to be a man doing it.

My mother used to tell me letting another man rub on your body while you are carrying someone else's child is bad luck. And I didn't want to bring it upon you. Which is why I told my brother Adio that I'd do it.

Anyways, I hope you have a pregnancy full of smooth sailing and happiness. You seem like you genuinely deserve it.

I hope you got a chance to swim with the dolphins. They sense the heartbeat in pregnant women and they love giving kisses and cuddles.

Congratulations again Devyn, and maybe one day you can come back to Jamaica. This time with your bundle of joy and the rest of your family.

Sending love and happiness your way always,

Akoni

I wipe the single tear that fell pouting at the letter. "Akoni, you sweet sweet woman." I mumbled.

I fold the letter back up putting it in the nightstand. I walk to the bathroom glancing at the test on the counter before smiling brightly whispering to myself.

"You're having a baby, Steele."