Chapter 127

127.

Devyn

After everything got settled I went down to the ER to do some charts.

I sit down grabbing the binders but also watching the interns take care of minor injured patients.

"Hello sir, I'm your doctor for today. What seems to be an issue?" I hear from behind a curtain.

"I HAVE A ROD THROUGH MY HEAD!" He yells. My eyes widen as I get out my seat walking over to the curtain pulling it back.

"Oh my god." I mumbled before glancing at the chart.

"Sir how long have you been waiting down here?" I asked checking his pupils.

"About thirty minutes." He said and I raised my eyebrows. "Nobody came to see you?" I asked and he shakes his head. "No ma'am."

"Page Neuro right now and keep me updated. We're gonna take good care of you." I said as she pushed the bed down the hall.

"Anybody wanna tell me why we left a patient unattended for 30 minutes with a rod stuck in his head?" I yell around the ER.

Everybody looks confused not saying anything and I roll my eyes as a nurse comes running down the hall.

"Dr. Steele. The intern said everyone is unavailable and they can only prep them." She said and I nod.

"What's the procedure?" Someone asked.

"A craniotomy." I mumbled checking my watch.

11:00am. Procedure is 2 hours and 20 minutes long.

"Steele, you can do that in your sleep." Chief said walking down the hall and I look at him like he grew three heads.

"I'm not a Neuro Surgeon." I said shaking my head.

"Today you are, go save a life." He said sternly and I nod slowly before running down the hall.

I come back when I remember something. "I have an appointment at 1:30. Somebody tell my fiancé..." I trailed off.

"I'll tell him you'll be 5 minutes late, now go." He said and I disappear around the corner.

"Thank you!"

_

I've been in here for about an hour and usually where people would be talking and making fun conversation, I told everyone to shut the fuck up.

I am NOT a Neuro Surgeon. I work on BONES.

Not BRAINS.

So far we're doing good...but we aren't in the clear yet.

I've also formed quite the crowd. Although I haven't looked up and seen them, the anesthesiologist told me that there are about 30 doctors up in that viewing room watching me.

Oh NOW you assholes are available...bullshit.

"The rod hit him at a perfect angle where there would be no neurological damage. That's incredible." I mumbled.

"Dr. Steele." One of them said calmly. "Yes?" I asked.

"We have already cut off the excess bar. We have stopped majority of the internal bleeding. What do you want to do now?" She asked slowly in her thick accent.

My eyes dart around the room as I try to remember what's next.

"I-don't remember." I revealed closing my eyes.

I breathe glancing to the scrub room seeing 3 doctors run in stopping when they make eye contact with me.

Dr. Avery, Dr. Miller, and Dr. Moore.