Chapter 160

160.

Devyn

November 25, 2033

"We wanna thank you all for joining us for the 88th annual Lasker Awards. But, now it is time to give our award." Alex says.

"This surgeon has been doing PHENOMENAL work since they've been an Attending Surgeon.

Along with all her groundbreaking surgeries, she has been doing one important mission for the past ten years. And it has finally ended.

And after tonight, this treatment will IMMEDIATELY be available all over the world. Because this woman, has cured skin cancer.

So please, without further ado, give it up for our 2033 'Surgeon Of The Year', Multi Lasker Award winner, Dr. Devyn Poole."

The audience claps and I smiled brightly hugging my kids before Jordan pecks my lips.

I make my way onto the stage taking the award giving Alex, Steven, and Lawrence brief hugs before I turn to the front to everybody.

"Hi." I say nervously and everyone laughs. "Sorry guys, 5 awards later and I still don't like speaking in front of people." I said and I hear a bunch of cheers.

"Subtle flex baby." Jordan yells and I blush.

"Yeah Dev!" Draymond yells followed by a bunch of barking from the team.

These fools...

"First and foremost I wanna thank God for putting me in the position to do things like this. Nothing I do is without him so he gets the utmost praise." I said.

"Second I want to thank my fellow doctors who helped me with this. Dr. Roman Miller, Dr. Elijah Moore, and my mentor Dr. Jacob Avery.

I couldn't have done this without your help so I will forever be in your debt." I said looking at them and they give me big smiles.

"I realized I wanted to be a surgeon after my father died in front of me when I was five years old. But never did I ever think that I'd be doing any of what I'm doing now.

This year, was supposed to be my first year as an Attending. But because of my mom homeschooling me and pushing me to my limit and even past it, I graduated early.

Early enough to where I was a Resident at 22 years old. Early enough to where I became the youngest African American Attending at 23 years old. Early enough to where I became the Team Doctor for the Golden State Warriors.

I became a millionaire at 23 years old. And usually, if you aren't a professional sports player then you won't be a multi-millionaire at that age. But God blessed me.

God blessed me with a man who loves me and understands my job and everything that comes with it and STILL accepts me.

There were times I couldn't get home until 11:00pm but he still found a way to stay up even after HE had a long day to talk to me and ask about mine.

That's a man, and THAT'S what God gave me. He also gave me seven beautiful children. Although I only birthed 5, those other two, my FIRST two, I will forever be thankful for that they understood I had to work in order to provide for them.

If it was up to me I would've been home ALL the time. Because who the hell actually wants to work, you know? But my family was my motivation to keep going, to never stop. So I didn't.

So for the past 10 years, I have been working on curing Stage 4 Melanoma with the help of my team. And 500 successful patients later, we're here.

We didn't have ONE fatality. And that's because of nobody but God. He guided my hands when I implanted the treatment into the patients.

He used me to be in the lab day in and day out to make sure everything I was doing was right. To make sure if I made a mistake, I could fix it before anybody died from it.

I told my team before we even started that there was only going to be ONE person that was deceased on that paper, and that was Ms. Hattie Marie Belle.

She was the reason I chose Stage 4 Melanoma as my research topic. I truly wished I would have found a cure for her but that wasn't in God's Plan. But she is the reason all of this is happening.

So because of that, I'm officially naming it The Belle Treatment. In honor of her, to make sure we never forget the reason that there is a cure in the first place.

I want to thank you all so much for this award, it truly means the world to me. And for all the young surgeons out there, reach for the stars. And once you reach them? Reach even further.

Because you will hit new heights you never thought was imaginable. I can actually say that I cured skin cancer, that's a huge step in the medical field to me.

And I hope we can take even bigger steps and come across even more groundbreaking discoveries. I truly do. But for now, let's save people's lives with The Belle Treatment.

Thank you all for this award, goodnight." I said and the crowd gives me a standing ovation.

I look around at everyone smiling brightly and I tear up heading off the stage.

Jordan scoops me up in his arms and I squeal as he spins me around. "I'm so proud of you." He said grabbing my face in his hands.

"You beat the odds baby, you did this shit." He said and I nod as he wipes my tears.

"I did it." I whispered and he nods. "Damn right."

"I love you Devyn." He said genuinely and I can see all the emotions passing through his eyes.

"I love you too, Poole."

I'm Devyn Poole.

Orthopedic Surgical Attending.

Team Doctor for The Golden State Warriors.

Creator of The Steele Repair and The Belle Treatment.

And this is my story.

Thank you all from the bottom of my heart for accompanying me on this wild wild journey.

Ten years later, I have the man of my dreams, seven beautiful children, and my three pets.

And I can't ask for anything more.

My life is full of love.

Before I go, I need to leave you guys with something. The quote that I got tatted on my spine 10 years ago.

"The finest steel has to go through the hottest fire."

I went through the HOTTEST fire...and you know what saved me?

A pool.

Until next time y'all...

Devyn out. *mic drop*