Chapter 20

20.

Devyn

I've done Wise's scans and now they're prepping him for surgery.

I'm scrubbing in mumbling the procedure to myself when a doctor walks in. "It's Dr. Avery." She said holding the phone to my ear.

"Hello?"

"Dr. Steele, how are you?" He asked.

"I'm fine sir, scrubbing in." I said rubbing my hands together.

"You got this alright? You've done a arthroscopic surgery before." He said.

"I haven't done it on him." I said.

"So what? You still got this. He might've picked you to do this surgery but I would've picked you too." He said.

"Really?" I asked.

"Don't act stupid Steele, you graduated from Harvard." He said and we laugh.

"You're my protégé, I wouldn't trust anyone else in this hospital to work on this patient other than you." He said. "You understand?"

"Yes sir." I say nodding.

"Alright, now I'm gonna let the doctor hang up now so I can get back to my spinal fusion." He said and I nod. "Ok."

"Good luck Dr. Steele." He said.

"Thank you Dr. Avery." I said and the doctor hangs up.

"Thank you." I tell her and she nods shutting the water off for me. "Good luck." She says walking out.

I walk to the door and it slides open. I hold my hands out and the doctor slips the gloves on me. "Hello everyone."

"Hello Dr. Steele." They said in unison.

Another doctor comes over tying my gown and I thank her.

I sit down in the chair beside Wise and he smiles at me. "Hey Devyn." He said looking up at the ceiling.

"Hey bubba." I said softly. "You ready?" I asked and he nods.

"You got this doc." He said and we laugh. "I'll see you when you wake up." I said and he nods. "See you then, Dev."

"Anesthesia." I said looking at the anesthesiologist and he nods. He puts the mask on him and Wise stares at me. "Ready?" I asked and he nods.

He injects the anesthesia and it gets quiet. "Count down from 10 for me bubs." I said and he nods slowly.

"10."

"9."

"8."

"7."

"6."

"Thank you Devyn." He said gratefully and I smile.

"5."

"4."

"Don't mention it." I said and he nods.

"3."

"2."

"1."

His eyes slowly shut and I take my knuckle running it across his eyebrow and he doesn't move.

"Alright everybody, let's save this boy's career." I said and everyone nods.

"Scalpel."

_

Jordan

I've just picked up Kai and Zuri from school and we're now heading to Devyn's apartment building to go see Ms. Hattie.

"Is Devyn coming home tonight?" Kai asked and I look through the rearview mirror at him.

"Yeah buddy, she just had a last minute surgery on a very important patient." I said not wanting to tell him who it is because I don't know how he'll take it.

Kai's very close to the whole team and he loves them a lot. I don't know how he'll take the news of his uncle being on Devyn's table even though it isn't life threatening.

He nods and continues to talk to Zuri. A few minutes later we pull up at the apartment building.

I park getting out and opening the door for them and they run out towards the door.

Ever since Zuri got her boot off she's been running everywhere. Can't say I blame her though, I would've done the same thing.

We make it up to 5th floor and Kai knocks on the door. A few seconds later Ms. Hattie opens the door and smiles at us.

"Well isn't this a pleasant surprise?" She says opening the door wider letting us in.

"Devyn had a last minute surgery, we're just stopping by." I said and she smiled.

"Stay as long as you want." She said waving me off.

The kids run up to her hugging her legs. "Hi Ms. Hattie." They exclaimed.

"Hi little ones, how are you?" She asked.

"Good." They say in chorus letting go.

"That's great." She said and they run in sitting on her couch watching tv petting Milo.

"How are you Jordan?" She asked walking to the kitchen.

"I'm fine, how are you?" I asked noticing a slight limp in her walk.

"Oh I'm good, I'm good." She says waving her hand in the air.

I nod not really believing her as she grabs two waters out the refrigerator handing me one. "Thank you." I said gratefully as we sit down.

"You're welcome." She says. "So, how are you and Devyn?" She asked.

"I'm not sure what you mean." I said laughing it off.

"Oh come on now, you two aren't together yet?" She asked in disbelief.

"No Ms. Hattie we aren't together." I said shaking my head.

"In due time Jordan, in due time." She said and I nod absentmindedly.

"When are you gonna tell her?" She asked.

"Tell her what?" I asked confused.

"That you have feelings for her." She said slapping me upside the head. "Ow!"

"I don't ha-" I stop talking when I see her looking at me sternly. "How long have you known?" I asked.

"Since I first met you. You wouldn't take your eyes off of her." She said smiling lightly.

"Because she's beautiful." I said. "When I first met her I just flirted with her because I was physically attracted to her. She had the most beautiful smile I've ever seen.

But then over time, I guess my feelings got a little more real and I actually fell for her. And I feel like I'm in too deep now." I revealed.

"And you don't think she feels the same way." She says and I nod.

"Let me tell you something Jordan, I've known Devyn since Kai was born, and I've never seen her talk about a man the way she talks about you." She says.

"She talks about me?" I asked surprised and she looks at me like I'm crazy.

"Of course she does! I'm not gonna put all her business out there but you make her really happy." She said and I smiled.

"She makes me happy too." I said.

"Then I want you to man up and tell her, life is too short." She said and I nod looking down at the ground when something catches my eye.

"Ms. Hattie?"

"Yes sweetheart?" She asked sipping her water.

"How long have you known?" I asked.

"Known what?" She asked confused.

I look up at her seriously. I lean in closer before whispering.

"That you had cancer."