Chapter 75

75.

Devyn

After Jordan left, I went back to work happier than ever. We're moving in together, that's great.

I love that we're taking this next step in our relationship.

Chapter of...comfortability.

I'm currently rounding up all the Ortho residents with Dr. Avery so I can talk to them about something important.

Can you guess what it is?

No?

Then you'll just have to wait like everyone else.

I walk into the room to see all the residents talking amongst themselves or eating their lunches.

"What do you think this could be about?" I heard one of them ask.

"I don't know, but she already broke my heart earlier with the Dr. Miller shit so who knows what's next." Another one said and I snort.

"They really love you." Dr. Avery said and I laugh. "I'm just a regular surgeon." I said and he looked at me pointedly.

"Yeah right."

We walk up to the front and I clear my throat. "Good Afternoon Residents." I said.

"Good Afternoon Dr. Steele." They said in unison.

"I have a proposal for all of you." I said and I see them sit up straighter suddenly interested.

One of them raises their hand and I point to them. "Yes?"

"Is the proposal the second position to be your resident? Because Dr. Miller is a Cardio Resident, not an Ortho Resident." She said and I laughed as Dr. Miller palmed his head.

"No, the two residents I have now are finalized. There's no changing that." I said and she pouts nodding anyway.

"Now as you all know, I am the Team Doctor for the Golden State Warriors. Which means when they come through those doors only my team can work on them.

And right now my team consists of Dr. Avery and I. But, I have two more positions to be filled. The position for two residents." I said as they start murmuring to each other.

"Now, just because I'm teaching Dr. Miller and Dr. Moore does not mean that automatically they get those positions. They have to earn it just like everyone else." I said standing in the middle of both of their tables.

"Sorry guys." I said shrugging at them and they wave me off as if to say, 'it's fine.'

"I am very very protective when it comes to those boys and I don't like mistakes being made on them, especially when those mistakes can affect their careers.

That's why Dr. Avery and I will be monitoring you closely these next 6 months. And right before playoffs begin, I need to have a full health team for those boys.

We will be watching you, even when you think we aren't, we are. We're looking for how well you work under pressure, how much you ask questions, how many mistakes you made, everything.

No one will be getting special treatment these next 6 months, you will be treated accordingly. Dr. Avery and I work the exact same way, because he taught me.

So you'll be learning the same exact things from him that Miller and Moore are learning with me.

You will be on Dr. Avery's service two at a time letting you get in on every single surgery he has.

And even when you aren't on our service, we're watching you. Those Cardio surgeries? General surgeries? Act accordingly because we're still watching." I explained walking around the room.

"Am I clear?" I said and they nod. "Yes ma'am."

"Great, because starting at this second we're watching you. Go save lives." I said and they scramble out the room some of them even falling on their way out.

I walk back over to Dr. Avery to see him looking behind me. I laugh looking down.

"Miller you are in Pediatrics for the remainder of this week right?" I asked turning around to see him and Dr. Moore still sitting there. "Yes ma'am." He nods.

"You know I'm still monitoring you in there too right?" I said taking a sip of water and his eyes widen.

"Get out." I said pointing to the door and he nods running out. "Dr. Moore, you can go cover the pit. Anything severe just page us." Dr. Avery tells him and he jogs out as well.

"Is this how you felt when you taught me?" I asked him as we flop on the couch.

"Partially, you never were that clumsy. Or that starstruck." He said and we laugh.

"This will be an interesting 6 months won't it?" He said and I nod.

"It kind of gives me déjà vu. 6 months to prep for an opportunity of a lifetime." I said and he smiled.

"I agree. But I also disagree." He said and I furrow my eyebrows.

"What do you mean?" I asked curiously.

"There's only one person in history who has had the opportunity to become the youngest African American Attending ever. And that's you, Dr. Devyn Steele. You are one of one."

_

My day ended and I headed home. I walk in taking my shoes off when I hear small footsteps.

"Devyn!" Kai said coming around the corner running up to me as I pick him up.

"Hi baby! I missed you so much." I exclaimed placing kisses all over his face as he laughs loudly.

I'm not ready for the day where he'll be too old to want to run up and give me hugs...

"I missed you too! I got Luna's mom's number too." He said as we walk in the bedroom.

"Alright I'll give her a call tomorrow." I said seeing Jordan packing while Zuri helps him.

"How long you gone?" I asked him.

"Until next Wednesday. Just three games between now and then." He said and I nod sitting down in the chair.

Zuri comes over crawling in my lap cuddling into my chest. "And how are you little miss princess?" I asked her and she smiles motioning me to come closer.

"I kissed a boy." She whispered and my eyes widen. "You did?!" I whispered back and she nods.

"Who was it?" I asked.

"Luna's big brother." She said and my jaw drops. "It was on the playground." She adds on.

"He's only one year older than you right?" I said and she nods.

"An older boy...nice." I said and we laugh loudly.

"What y'all over there laughing about?" Jordan asked eyeing us curiously.

"Nothing." We quickly say and he narrows his eyes.

He looks at Kai before speaking. "You know what they're talking about?" He asked him and Kai shakes his head. "Nope."

Jordan hummed looking back at us. "I'm watching you, both of you." He said sternly.

"You ain't my daddy, I don't care." I said and he smirks at me. "Chillout. There are children around." I said and he laughs. "I'm not saying anything." He said raising his hands in surrender.

"What are you guys talking about?" Kai asked confused looking between us.

Jordan and I look at each other raising our eyebrows motioning to the other to start talking.

"Uh..." Jordan scratches the back of his head while I cough.

"Grown folks business." We said in unison.

They look between us silently before looking at each other. Their eyes widen before yelling.

"EWWWWW!!!"