a day in mr. kyoraku's life - teacher!shunsui

"Mr. Kyoryku?" Shunsui turned around from his dry erase board to look at the young student whom had called to him, her tiny hand raised up into the air. A small smile came to his lips as he acknowledged the girl.

"Yes? What is it, (Name)?"

The subject seemed to be one that brought about nervous feelings in the girl, for upon recognition she averted her gaze back to the floor. Shunsui sweetly prompted her to speak up, and after taking a deep breath, (Name) decided to ask what had been on her mind.

"Mr. Kyoryku, are aliens real?"

Some of the more obnoxious boys laughed and snickered at (Name)'s innocent question, though after a stern look from their teacher, they silenced themselves. However, Shunsui was a bit puzzled by the question.

"Aliens? My, who told you about them? I've certainly not discussed them with anyone in quite a few years."

(Name) shifted a little in her seat before toying with the crayons on her desk. "I-I heard someone talk about them on a movie my mommy and daddy were watching last night. They sounded really scary..."

The youngster seemed visibly upset about the whole matter, so Shunsui sat his marker down before walking over to her and gently patting the top of her head. He squatted down a bit so that he could look directly into (Name)'s frightened eyes.

"If there are aliens, (Name), I've never seen them," He smiled. The answer seemed to give instant relief to the young girl, for as soon as the words sunk in, she slid down in her seat with a relieved sigh.

"Wow!" A shocked voice called from in the back. "They can't be real if old Mr. Kyoryku hasn't seen them!"

"I'm really not as old as you would think," Shunsui chuckled before standing up. After giving (Name) another comforting pat on her head, he returned to the front of the room. "Now, would anyone else like to hear me talk about aliens?"

Naturally, the hands in the rooms shot up while countless cheers and questions were shouted towards him. It brought another smile to the man's face.

These kids were his everything. Teaching such a young age group may not be for everyone, but for Shunsui, it certainly was. Even without the ability to drink and flirt as he pleased, Shunsui still loved his job.

No, he wouldn't trade it for the world.