insufficient - byakuya x reader

Every day, (Name) came into his office with her arm linked around the same male's arm. Byakuya would always hand her the paperwork for the day and she would respectfully bow before heading off with her suitor.

It cause a fire to burn inside of the typically stoic captain. Emotions that he was unaccustomed to would stir in the pit of his stomach, bringing forth feelings of jealousy and frustration that he was not proud of.

But, what could Byakuya do about it? (Name) was always extremely professional during her time in the office, so Byakuya had no reason to scold to her. She finished all of her assignments on time and she even went as far as to volunteer for extra work.

(Name) was an impressive woman indeed.

Byakuya's mind wandered to (Name) frequently, though those on the outside wouldn't know it. The ability to hide his emotions was simply a second nature to Byakuya.

What was it about (Name)'s lover that made him superior to Byakuya?

He didn't come from nobility. Was he more attractive? Byakuya didn't believe so — or rather, he wasn't sure. The physical appeal of men was not something that Byakuya was too knowledgeable about. However, he had caught several females giggling about how handsome they thought Byakuya himself was.

So... why did (Name) love her partner instead? Was there something insufficient about Byakuya?

Surely not. After all, Byakuya Kuchiki of all men was a wonderful catch; he was powerful, well-respected, and known all throughout the Soul Society. Byakuya was a fine man, wasn't he?

Unfortunately, what Byakuya thought didn't matter.

At end of the day, (Name) loved another man and refused to even give him a second glance. While the couple laid down beside one another each night, it was Byakuya who was left to wonder what exactly it was that made him insufficient.