sneaky - shunsui x oc

A/N: Shuriken Natazaki is my own character.

"Nanao? Are you even listening to me? I need your help, dear."

The dark-haired lieutenant looked up from her paperwork to see her captain frowning at her from below his straw hat. In fact, Nanao had not been listening, but she didn't need to; no, Shunsui had merely been rambling on as he had been for the past however many days.

"Of course, captain. I'm always listening." Nanao tried not to roll her eyes.

"What have I been talking about, then?" Shunsui asked with a dramatic sigh.

"Your beloved Shuriken Natazaki. You're trying to come up with the perfect way to win her heart, or the perfect way to ask her out. You've been in love with her for years, but you only recently came to terms with that. It's a very complicated matter for you, because she means the absolute world to you." Nanao sent a rather smug look to her captain, who appeared stunned for merely a second.

"Oh, Nanao, how could I have ever doubted you? You're such a sweet girl." Shunsui grinned as he leaned back in his seat. "What do you think I should do?"

As usual, Nanao began listing off idea after idea, encouraging the brunette as much as she possibly could. Nanao had grown tired of listening to her captain ramble on about his navy-haired friend long ago, but not for any sort of jealousy reason. Shunsui just would not stop talking about Shuriken; it was a bit frustrating to Nanao, who solely wanted to complete her work.

"... Oh, I don't know. Maybe I should just go for it. I could ask her out to dinner, you know, and then spill the way I feel about her while she's sipping on some soup?" Shunsui scratched his chin, a thoughtful look upon his face. "Does that sound like a good idea to you?"

"Of course, captain. I'm sure that Miss Natazaki would find it impossible to turn anyone down when she has a delicious bowl of soup in front of her." Nanao replied as she placed a stack of papers off to the side. When Shunsui let out a groan, one of Nanao's eyes twitched in slight frustration.

"So, she probably wouldn't be interested in me otherwise? Damn." Shunsui whined, falling over his desk in a dramatic fashion. "What's a love-struck man supposed to do in this sort of situation? Ri is such a hard nut to crack. Most ladies I can win over with my handsome appearance or my killer personality, but I don't know about her. My lovely beauty escapes me."

"If you just admitted your feelings to her, I'm sure that you would be quite surprised by her response. Do you really believe that Shuriken does not feel the same way about you, captain? It's obvious to everyone but the two of you that you belong together and have been in love since your academy years." Nanao sighed as she stood up, a stack of work in her hand. Shunsui still laid across his desk, unmoving; even when Nanao slammed the papers by his head, Shunsui did not even flinch.

It didn't take Nanao more than a couple of seconds to realize that her rather lazy captain had fallen asleep on the spur of the moment. A frown came to the woman's lips as she walked back over to her desk and sat down.

Nanao wanted good things for her captain, she genuinely, truly did. The man was more stubborn than he liked to admit, and his flirtatious attitude could be a bit much at times, but at his core, Shunsui Kyōraku was a wonderful man. He loved Shuriken and Shuriken loved him, but getting them together after all of those years seemed to be a tricky task.

But, then again, Nanao always did enjoy a challenge.

-

"You know, I must say, I was really surprised when you asked if you could come over tonight, Nanao. I didn't know you liked me enough to want to spend time with me outside of office hours."