overworked - shunsui x reader

One thing Shunsui prided himself on was his keen sense of observation. Though most were quick to dismiss the man upon an initial meeting, viewing him as merely a drunkard or a pervert, Shunsui was far more watchful and attentive than many realized.

When it came to those within his own Eighth Division, Shunsui was particularly well attuned to their well-being. His girls, especially, held a large amount of his interest. For as lazy and carefree as Shunsui's usual persona could be, he also had quite a large heart behind that broad, hairy chest of his. A heart that was filled with love for each and every member of his division.

It was, of course, because of this love that the man couldn't bear to see any of his subordinates unhappy. As long as Shunsui had the time to fix his squad member's problems (which wasn't quite as hard for him to do in times of peace, such as this) then he at least tried to make an effort.

"You asked to see me, captain?"

Shunsui looked up from the pile of papers that he had been lazily perusing while waiting for the woman who now stood in front of him. (Name) was a very beautiful gal, there was no doubt about that, and in the morning light that shone so gracefully through his office window and onto her skin, she looked damn near perfect.

He would have gladly given the title of 'flawless' to her, if not for the clear exhaustion on her pretty face. (Name) wore a gorgeous, respectful smile, but it did little to hide her lethargy.

"Yes, yes! Have a seat, my dear. I just wanted to speak with you for a moment," As the words tumbled from his lips, he motioned towards the space in front of his desk. (Name) bowed and did as he had instructed.

"Have I done something wrong, sir?" (Name) asked after a moment, her brows furrowing together ever-so-slightly. The look of concern on her tired face was rather cute.

At her question, Shunsui leaned back in his seat, his gray gaze locking with (Name)'s curious eyes. Lazily, as if the action was more of a habit than a conscious action, he raised a hand to scratch at his stubbled chin.

"Well, technically, no, you haven't done anything wrong. In fact, as far as overall productivity goes, I'd say you're near the top of our division," As Shunsui spoke, he watched the confusion spread across (Name)'s features. "In the last week alone, you've accomplished by yourself several tasks that usually require several people."

"I'm... not quite sure I understand where you're going with this, sir," (Name) sounded, and appeared, apprehensive. "Has my work been lackluster?"

Shunsui was quick to shake his head at her assumption. "No, no, that's not what I'm saying at all! In fact, it's been extremely impressive. However..."

He leaned forward, elbows resting on the desk as he folded his hands over one another. Shunsui's observant gaze scanned (Name), watching with mild amusement as she squirmed in her seat.

"Captain...?"

"However, I'm afraid that you're working yourself to the bone, dear. When's the last time you took a day off?"

Shunsui's question had caught her off-guard, that much was evident by the way (Name)'s eyes widened and her mouth crept open.

"It doesn't matter how good the work you're doing is if you have to damn near kill yourself to get that result. Now, I'm not suggesting that you completely abandon your duties as a Soul Reaper, no, but you must remember to take care of yourself as well. Even if it's something as simple as treating yourself to some dango after a long day at the office, it's important to make sure you are in top shape as well."

Balancing life as a member of the Gotei 13 was hard. Whenever they received orders, regardless of the time of day, they had to serve. Any lag in response time could mean the difference between life and death, either for one singular person or multiple.

Their lives were hard. Stressful. But that didn't mean that they had to push themselves towards an early grave.

Shunsui remained quiet as his words resonated in (Name)'s mind, gray eyes observing every jostle of her brows or movement of her jaw. Truly, he knew that he was lucky to have her in his division; her work ethic was strong and her combat abilities, though nothing extraordinary, were still worth mentioning. Her drive to improve had put her in a better position than she would have otherwise been in, true, but Shunsui cared more for her than that.

There was more to life than signing paperwork, slaying hollows, and sweeping the barracks. Important tasks, surely, but not the sole reason for their existence.

"I'll try to keep that in mind, captain," When (Name) finally spoke, Shunsui could tell that her tone was lighter. "Thank you."

"You can thank me by taking the next two days off," Shunsui cracked a grin. "And before you try to weasel your way out of it, please know that I'm not asking if you want to. It's an order."

The faint blush of embarrassment that fanned across (Name)'s cheeks told Shunsui more than her words could have. She had wanted to protest her impromptu vacation.

"If you insist, captain, I suppose it would be rude of me to try and convince you otherwise," (Name) conceded defeat. Smart girl.

"Good, good! I'm glad to hear you say that!" Shunsui clasped his palms together in a loud clap. "Now, I don't ever want to rush a pretty lady out of my office, but I would feel a lot better if you got some rest as soon as possible. The workday has just begun, but anything you've been working on can wait until you get back."

(Name)'s lips pursed out into an adorable pout, but once again, she did not protest. "Yes, sir."

"That's what I like to hear. Now, go on. Take care of yourself, dear, and I'll see you when you return," Shunsui gave the woman a wave as she stood from her seat, looking down at him with a tired (but grateful) expression.

"Of course, sir," (Name) bowed. When she raised back up, her eyes locked with Shunsui's. "And... Thank you, Captain Kyoraku. I, uh... I suppose I don't know my own limits."

Her voice was soft and genuine, and it brought a joy unlike any other to Shunsui's heart.

"It's not a problem at all, (Name). I hope the next time you come by my office, it's for more pleasant reasons, and not because you've been working yourself to death again," He shot her a grin.

Once more, a blush fanned across her gentle cheeks. Before the embarrassment could get any worse for poor (Name), she had excused herself from the room.

Shunsui was proud of the woman and her work, but he was even more glad that she was willing to put herself first for once. And just maybe when she returned, she'd be willing to let him show her how to relax, too.