where i belong - ukitake x reader

Nothing seemed to make sense to (Name) (Last Name), though she honestly couldn't remember if it ever had. People whom she couldn't recall ever meeting before were treating her as though they had been her friends for years. One girl had even called (Name) her best friend; but, how would (Name) know? She knew only her own name, nothing more.

The situation was both confusing and heartbreaking. She couldn't decipher any situation or encounter. As she roamed the streets of what she had heard called the 'Seriete,' (Name) tried her damnedest to come up with some sort of idea as to where exactly she was at.

That was when he had showed up. A handsome, white-haired male with the kindest green eyes. He had smiled at (Name) and asked her how she felt. His concern appeared genuine, and (Name) believed that it was. When he had asked her to come by his nearby division, (Name) couldn't refuse. Many of those there greeted her and welcomed her back to the Thirteenth, as if she belong there; yet, (Name) still didn't understand. They went to what the man introduced as his office and sat across from one another at his desk.

"Thank you for coming here with me, (Name). I'm sorry I haven't been able to talk to you sooner." His apology came with a guilty smile. "You see, I haven't been feeling very well myself lately. My... illness seemed to have gotten the better of me right when you needed someone."

"Illness? Are you alright?" (Name) felt herself growing uneasy at the thought of something terrible happening to the sweet man. He was the only person she had really talked to since she had lost her memory, and without him, she would be plunged back into the darkness once more.

"Thank you for your concern, but I'm doing a lot better now. It's nice to get some fresh air every now and then." He chuckled before giving (Name) another smile. "Do you remember my name, (Name)?"

The woman shook her head. "I'm sorry, I don't."

"That's understandable." He then cleared his throat before extending his hand out to her. "I'm Jūshirō Ukitake."

(Name) didn't really understand what to do, so she placed one of her hands on Jūshirō's extended one. The warmth of his hand made hers tingle in a way that puzzled her, though it felt quite nice. (Name) still didn't understand.

"Do you remember anything at all about your life?" Jūshirō asked. (Name) once more shook her head. "Would you like to look at some photographs, then? All of your friends have put this book together to help you remember who you were." Jūshirō smiled as he placed a binder with her name on the front of it on his desk. (Name) stared at it for a moment. Before then, she hadn't had any link to her previous life.

"Y-Yes, I would like to see it." (Name) nodded with determination.

Who had she been? Who would be in the book?

Jūshirō opened the binder to show (Name) countless pictures of her alongside many of the people who had tried talking to her recently. She saw herself smiling and enjoying her life, making the most of every moment. As Jūshirō turned the page, she noticed a picture of the two of them. The way they looked at one another made her heart skip a beat.

"When was this picture taken?" (Name) asked Jūshirō as she pointed to the image. He smiled, though (Name) thought she could detect a bit of sadness in his tone and eyes.

"Only a couple of months ago. We had gone to the World of the Living together to visit the carnival. You were so excited for it." Jūshirō chuckled softly. "It was one of the best days of my life."

(Name) stood up from her seat and walked over beside of Jūshirō. She stared down at the picture before looking at him. "We were... close. Right?" Even now, (Name) didn't understand.

"Very." Jūshirō replied, turning so that he looked directly at (Name).

"Then... can I do something real quick?" (Name) felt her cheeks begin to burn at the question, though she held her ground firmly.

"I'm not sure I understand. What would you like to do?" Jūshirō asked curiously before blinking in surprise as (Name) wrapped her arms around him in a hug; it took a moment for him to respond. As he held her closer, (Name) began to finally understand the most puzzling question of all.

"This is where I belong; here in your arms." (Name) glanced up at Jūshirō. "Right?"

The pale man nodded with a beaming smile. His lover hadn't completely returned to him, but it seemed as though they were at least on the proper track.

"Right."