a reason to smile - hitsugaya x reader

I've heard several times throughout my life that things always happen for a reason, but that doesn't mean that I entirely believe that. Things change constantly in the world around us, and the reason is completely irrelevant. People only assign reason to actions as an attempt to justify them.

Yet... even so, I can't help but wonder what the reason that you're gone is, (Name). It's a stupid thing to wonder, I know, but I can't help myself. You were such a beautiful young woman, with more potential than even I have. I can't believe that a hollow killed you, I just can't. That is what everyone has told me, including the head captain, but it doesn't make sense to me. If you were fine when you left for your mission, then how could you return without any life left within you?

Even when Unohana herself had showed me your body, I couldn't believe it. If Aizen could create an illusion with his zanpakuto and deceive all of us, then why couldn't someone be trying to pull the same trick on us about you? I'm not saying that you're anything like that bastard, (Name), because you're not.

You're perfect in every way. You always have been, and you always will be.

I'll find out the reason that you're gone. I'll make sense of this whole thing and I'll bring you back, some way, some how.

Because if I don't, I'm not sure I'll ever be able to smile again.