an evening stroll - aizen x oc

A/N: Masayoshi belongs to Masayoshi_ !

Regardless of how many times a Shinigami may have visted the World of the Living, it was always nearly impossible to not be baffled by the utter strangeness of it all. Humans and Shinigami were completely different beings, from the way they dressed to way they behaved; the only true similarities lied in their appearances.

As Masayoshi roamed the quiet streets of Karakura Town, her lips rested in a flat line. Her bright orange eyes scanned the dimly-lit scenery, mentally noting all of the similarities and differences between the living world and the Seriete in which she lived. It was probably good that Masayoshi was in her soul form, as passerby's surely would have found her strange for examining some of the small things that she did.

Perhaps her captain, Byakuya, had been right when he said that she needed to get out more. Sure, Masayoshi had been to the living world before, with Renji and her sister, Sarabi, but Masayoshi had yet to really have a chance to explore everything. It was different; she liked it, she believed, but she wasn't entirely convinced yet.

The cool night air brought some sort of comfort to Masayoshi as she continued on her stroll. She had been trying to help clear her mind of all of the chaos that had been surrounding her life as of late. This seemed to be the first true moment of peace that Masayoshi had experienced since everything in the Soul Society went to shit several months ago.

Masayoshi remembered the day that Sōsuke, Gin, and Kaname left them very well. From the moment that Rukia's execution had been announced, an air of unease had swept over the Soul Society as a whole; no one could have anticipated how many problems would come from the series of events, though. Masayoshi's brows furrowed as she played the day back over in her mind.

How could Sōsuke have done such a thing? The man was too intelligent for his own good, and Masayoshi hated to believe that it had all gone to his head. Yet, at the same time, Masayoshi saw good in Sōsuke; someone as talented and as inwardly kind as him could not be as bad as he seemed. Masayoshi knew Sōsuke, and she knew the type of man that he had been before power consumed him. The stories of him being insane from the get-go were ludicrous.

The thought of her former friend and ally made Masayoshi's heart ache. Why had Sōsuke turned his back on them like that? He knew better than to go against the Soul Society and start a war of this caliber. Nothing good would ever come out of any of this; so many lives had already been lost, and Masayoshi hated thinking of how many more would follow suit.

"This is ridiculous. I don't need to be worrying about that sort of thing right now." Masayoshi muttered as she walked, folding her arms over her chest. Renji and Sarabi would scold her for letting her emotions take control of her like that. Then again, Masayoshi concluded, it wouldn't be the first time that her closest companions had scolded her for something involving Sōsuke.

A sad laugh nearly erupted from Masayoshi's chest as she remember the day that Renji and Sarabi had initially discover her crush on Sōsuke. The two of them had teased her incessantly, and before the day had finished, they had nearly told Sōsuke themselves. After all, Renji and Sarabi only wanted what was best for Masayoshi, and that the time, they all three believed that Sōsuke was a wonderful man.

"Sōsuke," Masayoshi sighed to herself as she took a seat on a nearby bench, "I wish I could talk to you about all of this. This war isn't necessary."

As soon as Masayoshi closed her eyes to rest, the loud sound of fireworks caught her attention. The blue-haired woman looked up and saw an eruption of colors into the sky in front of her, but a distance away. It was a Saturday night, meaning that it was entirely possible that some group of friends had gotten together to celebrate something or to merely have a good time. For just a moment, a smile crept onto Masayoshi's face; she remembered a special little occasion involving her dearest friends and the former captain who had stolen her heart.