nothing serious - kenpachi x ikkaku

Although Kenpachi Zaraki had never been the most observant male in the Soul Society, he did pride himself on his keen ability to sense bullshit from a mile away. If something seemed way too good to be true, it would not take all that long for Kenpachi to call someone out on it. This was something that held especially true when it came to those closest to the Eleventh captain; now, Kenpachi didn't care for many people at all, but there were a select few that he always kept an eye on.

For nearly a month a half, Ikkaku had been strutting around the division and boasting incessantly about how he had finally obtained the woman of his dreams. The moment Kenpachi had first heard Ikkaku talk about his 'girlfriend,' something about it had just rubbed him the wrong way. Now, it wasn't out of any sort of jealousy; no, that certainly was not the case. It was just difficult for Kenpachi to believe Ikkaku's story from the get-go.

Something about the way that Ikkaku talked about his 'girlfriend' made Kenpachi question the story. Although Kenpachi did not doubt that Ikkaku could win the attention of any woman that he pleased (after all, Ikkaku was quite the handsome male), Ikkaku just did not seem as interested as he tried to make the others believe he was. It was puzzling to Kenpachi.

The strangest thing in Kenpachi's eye(s) was that Ikkaku refused to bring his lover around the boys. There were many times that Yachiru begged Ikkaku to bring his 'girlfriend' over so that they could play, but he never budged. Many of the men in the division hassled Ikkaku for even her name, but the bald male refused to share any detail about his mystery woman, other than the facts that she was beautiful and she was his.

There were countless possibilities as to why Ikkaku stayed quiet on certain aspects of his 'girl' and to why he would not bring her around. No one could quite blame the guy for not wanting to expose his loved one to the rambunctious men in the Eleventh Division, who would undoubtedly view her as a fresh piece of meat. Another option that Kenpachi had mulled over was that the woman wasn't as attractive as Ikkaku made her out to be, and because of that, he was slightly embarrassed of her.

The most logical answer as to why Ikkaku didn't bring anyone around, however, was that he didn't actually have a 'girlfriend.' That was what Kenpachi believed, but, he had to be sure.

If Ikkaku was throwing up a fake illusion, Kenpachi had to call him on it.

Thus, Kenpachi threw a party for his seated officers, telling his boys to invite anyone that they pleased. Kenpachi had Yachiru specifically harass Ikkaku and pressure him into agreeing to invite his 'girlfriend' to the event. Hell, the violent captain even went as far as to tell Ikkaku that he looked forward to meeting the woman.

Ikkaku arrived at the beginning of the party, but with no one by his side. Of course, Ikkaku insisted that his 'girlfriend' would be arriving later on, but Kenpachi wasn't buying it.

Once the gathered squad members began drinking, Kenpachi finally decided to approach Ikkaku. The third seat had yet to fully crack open his sake, and since Yachiru was busy with Yumichika, Kenpachi found the time to be perfect. The captain leaned against the wall nearest to Ikkaku, who was in the floor with a bottle in his lap.

"Hey. You know you don't have to bullshit anything with me, right? If you've not got a girlfriend, you don't have to keep acting like you do. It's not that big of a deal." Ikkaku glanced up at Kenpachi as he spoke, but once Kenpachi had finished, Ikkaku's gaze dropped to the floor.

"You don't believe me, huh? Dammit. I thought I had been doing a pretty good job. What gave me away?" Ikkaku sighed, placing a hand on the back of his neck. "Was it showing up here alone tonight?"

"Nah. I've not really believed it from the beginning. You never seemed like you were as interested as you wanted other people to believe you were. I don't really know anything about love or relationships, but I felt like you were doing it wrong." Kenpachi then shrugged, his eye locked on Ikkaku's form. "Why'd you bother lying so much? No one around here cares if you're single for the rest of your life."