Schemer of the Scandling Sands

(Leaving for the Holidays)

"Hey, everyone! You can stop blocking the traffic in the middle of the hall now!" Ruggie called out to the group of males.

"Ruggie? Whoa, what's with all the luggage?" Deuce was surprised to see the upperclassman hyena carrying so many bags and a giant cooler. "A backpack, three duffel bags, and a giant cooler..."

"Oh, this? Shyeheehee. I took all the food that was about to expire at the cafeteria and the school store. Since we're about to go on break, they practically gave it to me for free," Ruggie explained to Deuce.

"No way can you eat all that," Ace sweatdropped.

"You'd be surprised. The neighborhood kids devour this stuff like, well, a pack of hyenas. Plus, I want to make sure my grandma has enough to eat over the holidays. Speaking of which, I need to go, otherwise this frozen food won't stay frozen for long. See you next year!" Ruggie rushed off to the Dark Mirror with his belongings.

"He's really taking all that food to share with kids from the neighborhood?" Deuce wondered.

Just then, Jack approached the group. "Ruggie comes from a place where food is scarce. So during long breaks like this, he stocks up on as much food as he can and shares it with the local kids," Jack explained.

"What about you, Jack? Why are you carrying a planter? Are you getting into gardening now?" Ace asked the silver-haired wolf.

"It's actually a cactus that I've been growing in my free time. If I didn't water it over the break, it would wither up. But enough about me," Jack quickly changed the subject.

"I never knew Ruggie had it in him to share food with kids who aren't even related to him," Grim said.

"Hyenas believe in sharing their spoils equally. I'm sure that's how Ruggie was raised," Jack explained.

Then, Leona joined the conversation. "The thought of a feeding frenzy like that just gives me the chills. I can barely stand the noise even just one kid makes," he said.

"So, are you not planning on visiting your family, Leona?" Jack asked the dark-haired upperclassman.

"I wish I could skip it, but my family would give me so much grief if I did. Ugh, it's truly a holiday chore," Leona grumbled.

"But are you not bringing anything with you?" Deuce asked.

"What's the point? I've got my wallet and my smartphone. What else do I need? I have clothes at home anyways," Leona responded.

"That's a whole other level of extreme," Grim narrowed his eyes at Leona.

"And you're not even bringing your homework, are you?" Ace sweatdropped, questioning Leona.

"Homework can wait until after the break. Holidays are meant for resting. Later, herbivores," Leona said before walking away from the group.

"He's definitely capable of doing well if he puts in the effort, but I guess he just chooses not to," Jack muttered. "Well, I know I'll be getting my homework done. You guys better do the same. And if you see Tokaku, tell her I say hi. See you later." Jack waved goodbye and left.

"Whatever you say, Mr. Overachiever. See you next year, huh?" Ace bid farewell to Jack.

"Leona's commitment to his principles is quite impressive," Deuce remarked.

Just then, Trey and Cater approached the group, having overheard their conversation. "Alright, freshmen! Don't let those troublemaking upperclassmen give you any ideas, alright?" Cater warned.