Morpheus: Anything is possible

⚠ Warning: Depression and suicide. This is pretty dark.

A/N: These characters comes from the show: The Sandman.

______

Imagine that you have a hard life. The only time you actually feel joy is when you are asleep, because this is when you get to see him again. 

♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡

<<<(Y/n's P.O.V)>>>

Here I am, running across the green grass, feeling the wind in my hair, the sun in my face, doing something I never thought I could do again. In my daily life I'm in a wheelchair, often alone and bullied for it. I got into a car accident when I was 13 years old, it paralyzed me from the hip down. I miss running, I miss playing with my friends. I wanted to be a professional dancer when I was a kid, of course I could forget about that now. 

I skipped across the green grass, while looking around for a certain raven haired king. I don't know when I starting to see him in my dreams, but ever since he came, he never went away again. I look forwards to our nightly meeting, in my dreams I can be whatever I want to be. He makes me feel like I'm someone.

"Love?" 

I turned around to face my handsome king. Without doubt I ran to him and put my arms around him. "Morpheus! I missed you." 

And I planted a kiss on his lips. I remember the first time we kissed, like it was yesterday. For a king he was actually really shy. At first he was a bit hesitate about his feelings towards me, mainly because of him being an endless and my mortality, which would mean I would slowly age and die. Of course he told me about the many times his sibling Desire would make him fall in love only to have his heart broken a century later. I managed to convince him that if I'm dying, we might as well enjoy the time we still got. 

He chuckled and moved some hair out of my face. "You saw me yesterday, love."

"So? I can still miss you then, can't I?" He pretended to think about that. "I guess so." And he gave me a big smile. 

"What do you want to do little birdy? We got a few more hours to fill in before you wake up." I smiled when he called me his little bird. I know how font he is of birds, they are his everything. 

As soon as he said that, my head filled with endless ideas. We could hunt shadows, jump from clouds, run over rainbows or fly on a falling star through the galaxy. These were my dreams and anything is possible. All of the things I mentioned were super awesome, but it was not the thing I had in mind. There was only one thing I wanted to do while I was here. Cuddle and dance with my dream king. 

"You know what I want." I gave him a playful wink while I put my arms around his waist. Slow music suddenly started playing. I had no idea where it came from though, there was no speaker nearby. Not that I truly cared, I was too caught up in the moment. 

He smirked as he knows what I was up to. "My little dancing bird, of course I should have known." 

I did a dramatic bow. "May I have this dance from you, my king." 

Morpheus giggled silently. "Of course, my prince." Without anymore words he took my hand and placed his hands around my neck. 

The way we moved over the fresh grass, it just felt so good. It was just like in those fairytales, magical and unrealistic. Deep inside me I know it isn't real, that I'm still asleep in my bed, at home. Sometimes I wish that I could actually hold him in my arms, you know in the land of the awake. But on the other hand I also know he wouldn't find me attractive then anymore, because then he would see me for who I really am. In here I can be whatever I want to be, but out there, I will never be more than a disabled and scarred little boy. 

I think Morpheus saw me frowning because he stopped moving. I looked slightly confused at him, not sure why he stopped. "What's wrong my love?" 

He looked me in my eyes with those beautiful orbs. They made me want to drown in them. They are endless, just like him. 

"I don't want to leave you again by waking up." 

He quickly pulled me in a hug when I felt the tears running down my cheek. I didn't want to cry, I didn't want to look weak, but I just couldn't help myself. "Oh honey, you know we will see each other tomorrow again, right?"

Well that's true. I come here every night, only to wake up alone and cold later. This thought made me frown a bit. 

"I want to stay with you Morpheus, here in the Dreaming."

He planted a kiss on my forehead. "You know you can't, little birdy."

"Why not?" I whined softly. "I hate my life out there. I'm trapped in that stupid chair."

The king of dreams sighed and turned away from me. "The Dreaming is not for the awake."

Of course I knew that. There was only one way for me to be able to stay permanently in the Dreaming. "Make me not wake up then."

This caused him to shiftly turn towards me again. "No."

That was all he said. Just no. "Morpheus..." I whimpered. "No Y/n, you can't ask that from me. That would mean I would have to kill you and I could never do that." 

I sighed and looked down. Of course I know couldn't ask from him to end my life out there, even if it would mean I get to stay here. "I'm sorry Morphy. I just don't like my life." I mumbled. 

"I'm sorry too." I didn't know what he ment by that, until he blew some sand in my face. Before I knew it everything went dark. 

When I opened my eyes again I was back in my bed, alone as always. I didn't want to go yet. Why did he made me go?

I wanted to convince myself I was angry at him, but the truth is that I was mainly just sad. Sad about the fact that no one truly cared for me, sad about the fact that I had no future, mainly I was sad about the fact that the love of my life is only a dream. 

While I tried pointlessly to dry the waterfall of tears from my eyes, they landed on a small box with my meds. I whimpered and tried to get the nasty thoughts out of my head, but I couldn't. They were eating me alive. I slowly grabbed the medication box and opened it. I took a hand full of pills and just stared at it. 

Was this my only escape from my misery?

Was this the only way to my sweet and beloved Morpheus?

I didn't know what would happen after death. Will I be able to be forever with my handsome king? 

No matter how many times I asked myself that question, I didn't had the answer and there was only one way to find it out. I took a deep breath. 

Without anymore doubt I took all the pills in my mouth and swallowed them whole. I closed my eyes as I felt my body getting heavier. I let whatever was going to happen next wash over me. Weirdly enough I wasn't scared, I wasn't sad anymore either. I felt a peace in me, I only felt in my dreams.

Maybe I was wrong, maybe this wasn't the way. But I wanted to be with him so badly, I would do anything. 

And when you truly want something, anything is possible. 

☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi everyone,

Please comment, vote and follow me.
Make sure to check my other stories too.

Let me know in the comments if you want a part 2.
Thanks again for reading this, it means a lot to me. 😊

XXX Luna❤

Word count: 1383  ✦  16.11.2022