72

Between Love and Acting (10)

Ian had never been treated like this anywhere else.

He handed a bunch of papers to my uncle without much emotional turmoil.

"This is a list of back alley thugs who use swords in the South. There is a plan written on the back of the lord's castle as an outsider."

"...What?"

"Like Annabelle said, it means that they planned the assassination of the lord."

My uncle began to rummage through the documents with a serious expression on his face.

Ian and I left our uncle behind and whispered in a voice that only each other could hear.

"Did you search through all the data?"

"There was time before the fire was extinguished."

"You are really great."

"Well."

But Ian's expression didn't look good at all.

"But I haven't found any evidence that has anything to do with Prince Carlon. I think Prince Carlon took good care of it."

"Okay, but this..."

"I'll have to look into it with more time later, but for now the feeling is there."

I let out a light sigh.

"More than that."

Ian's red eyes, speaking to me once more, subsided even more.

"...Read this."

I accepted a note from him.

「Get rid of Annabelle Rainfield as you please. Use the assassin who is better than her.」

So it was a murder notice. Sadly, it was for me.

"Ian."

Without taking my eyes off the note, I asked seriously.

"Did you ever become an assassin?"

He was the only one who was better than me, so I asked.

Of course, Ian answered seriously although it wasn't even worth answering.

"Looking at the way the note is folded, it looks like a message using pigeons or doves. There is no evidence, but speculation."

He was a man who didn't really know that I was joking.

If it was Aaron, he would have been able to say something like, 'I was hired for 100 gold, but I'll betray them if you give me 101 gold'.

I seemed to understand why Aaron was swearing at him behind the scenes.

"If it's a pigeon..."

When I showed a serious expression on my face, Ian kindly began to explain what he thought.

"The royal family are supplied with specially trained pigeons from the tower. I also received it from Prince Robert often. So I could find out."

"Huh, really. At this point, aren't there too many special editions for the royal family?"

"Because the tower belongs to the Imperial Castle. Anyway..."

Ian continued speaking with a heavy expression.

"I have a suspicion this is from Prince Carlon, though it will be difficult to find out with this. But if this is true, you are in danger."

"..."