143

After Quitting Being Your Rival (9)

"Annabelle, why are you coming back so late?"

When I got home, it was already dark.

As soon as I entered the door, I heard a blunt voice.

"Well, it's not too late..."

Even my uncle, not just my parents, was waiting for me at the front door with his eyes wide open.

I rolled my eyes and said cautiously.

"Didn't you say that you're going with your friends today? I thought you'd be very late..."

"Tomorrow is your friendly tournament, why should I drink until late?"

My uncle followed me around in a tone that I couldn't tell if he was grunting or not, busy giving instructions here and there.

"Oscar, make a late-night snack. Light food that is not too burdensome. Wherever you pretend, you're in trouble. Aaron, you can help her sharpen her sword. Marilyn, why don't you relax Annabelle's muscles? You are strong."

"Why are you on all of a sudden? And take that filthy pipe away."

My mother answered angrily with her arms crossed.

"It's not good for Annabelle's health. I want to let her see only pretty and good things."

"If she's so precious, why don't you take care of her like this? Is it normal for her to come back so late?"

"Well, she must have been at the Duke of Wades."

My uncle's eyes widened as I nodded at my mother's words.

Then he coughed a few times and immediately changed his stance.

"Duke... Well... How big and flashy. If it's Wade..."

Uncle was also weak in wealth and fame, so he sighed and muttered as if he was sorry.

"Still, my niece is more pitiful..."

My parents had received too much from Braden, so they couldn't resist, but my uncle didn't like it because he didn't have any psychological debt.

So, I decided to put an end to that trouble quickly.

"This sword was very expensive, but Leslie gave it to me. And there are many more precious things in the Duke of Wade."

"...No matter how precious it is, if you are rewarded with material things, your heart will be filled to some extent."

After making a quick compromise, my uncle started to check my condition excessively.

I was worried about the speed of my late night snack and the softness of the sofa I sat on.

"Uncle."

Aaron, who couldn't see it, sighed as he cleaned my sword, and quietly spoke.

"If you want us to take care of your niece like that, why don't you take care of her yourself? Why are you doing this to her like you're up to something...?"

And seeing the expression on my uncle's face, which was visibly bewildered by Aaron's words, we all immediately noticed.

What was his plan?

"Tell me now."

My father looked at my uncle who looked just like him, and said with some sternness.

"Why on earth are you so anxious that we can't take care of Annabelle?"

My uncle, who was much more determined than my father, could not be swayed by those words.

"Annabelle is my lifesaver. Isn't it natural to take care of her this much?"