Chapter 16

I didn't know how Astéria heard about the whole incident. Maybe it was why Orange disappeared the day before but once in class, Astéria came to me in front of everyone. People stopped talking immediately and everyone stared at us waiting for what was going to happen.

"I came to apologize."

I frowned

"Apologize for what?

-I heard that you got a letter in my name with erotic topics in it. But I would like to clarify that I wasn't at the origin of that letter."

I looked around and saw that everyone was listening. Therefore I got up and told Astéria to follow me somewhere else. We left the classroom and walked to an empty staircase.

"Sorry, I didn't really think this was an appropriate conversation to have around others."

Astéria didn't wait a second and apologized again. She seemed restless for some reason. Was she scared for her reputation?

"I am so sorry about this. I would never send a disrespectful letter to you. You have been really nice to me and I don't want you to think that I would do anything to hurt you."

She was so agitated that I had to calm her quickly:

"Don't worry about it. It's really fine. I knew it wasn't you and immediately forgot about it."

Astéria didn't seem convinced.

"I promise you I would never do anything to make you uncomfortable.

-I know. You would never send me such a letter. It's fine.

-Are you okay?

-I am thank you for asking. You don't have to worry about me."

Astéria pinched her lips before asking:

"I don't want to intrude but I can't help but worry. Are you being bullied by any chance?"

I smiled:

"No. Everything is fine."

This conversation was rather awkward. Astéria didn't seem to believe anything I was saying and couldn't stop looking at me with those worried eyes. I had no idea why she was behaving this way and I couldn't help finding this funny. The cold hearted killer was acting all protective over me. I knew it wasn't honest but it was still fun.

"It was just a very bad joke. People here are rather bored. I don't pay attention to it.

-They are jealous."

I laughed:

"Yes, that's what I thought too.

-But may I ask how you knew that the letter wasn't from me?"

I shrugged:

"I knew you would never send me such a letter."

Astéria smiled:

"How could you know that? Did you read it?

-No, but why would you send me a letter with erotic topics? Moreover, the handwriting on the envelope was too weird. I know that yours looks amazing.

-How?"

I shrugged again:

"I don't know. You just look like someone with gorgeous handwriting.

-I am honored to have such high standards in your eyes.

-You're welcome.

-I still feel bad about this whole story, however. I can't help feeling that everything happened because of me. May I invite you to dinner at my mansion to make up for the inconvenience?