Chapter 39

"If you don't mind, I could help you find your way.

-Oh, thank you. I would appreciate that."

I was way too preoccupied to say anything and quickly forgot that Astéria was there. I didn't know how I forgot about her presence. The female lead was impossible to forget and despite accepting to spend time with her and being her friend, I should keep my guard up a bit more. Pay attention to her, Poehina. You couldn't let her catch you off guard. She seemed nice but you never knew what would happen. As I was thinking this while staring at her, Astéria quickly looked away and coughed before breaking the silence:

"Do you have something that you would like to do for the open days?"

I stopped staring at her and thought:

"I don't really know yet."

I never had any imagination for these things unfortunately and I hated myself for it. It was the same when playing truth or dare. I hated that game. Why could I never think of a good question to ask? It was way more stressful than anything to me. I was very excited but what could we do that would be fun?

"I haven't found any good ideas yet either. If you would like... We could talk about it around some tea?

-Why not? Let's do it."

It was perfect. Astéria always had witty plans in the book so I could count on her.

"Prissy told me that there was a new place that opened recently.

-Actually... I was thinking of my mansion."

Astéria added very quickly:

"Last time you seemed to like our ballroom very much."

My heart skipped a beat just thinking about that place. It was when I first met the female lead and I promised Astéria that I would come back there. However back then I didn't think a word I said. I knew what she was really like and needed to keep my distance as much as possible. But then she started warming up to me and I thought she needed me for her plans. I didn't trust her but she was really nice to me and I realized that apart from me no one had ever helped her before. I could be nice to her and I even helped her become friends with Saber thinking that maybe this would soften her heart. And if it didn't, then I could still disappear as soon as she started her killing spree. I still had a lot of time and if I was nice to her, she wouldn't have any reason to kill me. But if I became too close to her, it meant I had more of a chance of making a mistake. That was partly why I stopped eating with her and also because I missed Orange. I didn't have to feel bad anymore because Astéria had Saber now and wasn't alone but she was still coming to greet me every morning. She didn't seem to want to give up on our friendship.

Maybe I could get closer to her to find out what her new plan of revenge was and then when I knew, I could use it to my advantage to show her that I was totally useless in her goal. Once that was done, I could make her dislike me and get bored of me so she would stop talking to me by her own volition. Until then I could continue being nice to her in the hope that her heart would soften and that she would become a good queen in the future.

"It sounds good."

Astéria started beaming.

"Great! When would you be free?

-We could meet up today if you want. I don't really have anything planned. But I should tell Orange first so she doesn't wait for me to go home. Nevermind. I'll walk her home and meet you after."

I always walked Orange home and I wasn't going to stop because of Astéria. I told Orange about my plans on the way and for some reason I started justifying myself. She didn't even say anything. Why was I giving so much detail?