Chapter 77

I had prepared for Angie's birthday for weeks. If the Emperor had been invited I would have known. Not that he wasn't invited. On paper he was because that was the polite thing to do and if we didn't invite him he could have sent us to jail. Therefore I did send him an invite but apart from his sons no one answered. The same happened for my own birthday so I didn't think anything about it. It was weird that he didn't come to my birthday but judging by me breaking the engagement with his son, I would understand if he was angry. And honestly I forgot about his existence very quickly.

In the book the nobles didn't accept Angie because of her powers and the Emperor didn't even come to her 18th birthday. That would be a humiliation and Alastair would be there to comfort her. So what was he doing here now? Judging by his smirk it wasn't anything good.

I turned to Angie to see her reaction but she was still completely absorbed by our outfits. She didn't even notice the Emperor but seeing my frown finally woke her up and she turned to what was bothering me. She immediately ran up to me and her hand found its place on my lower back. She then started glaring at the Emperor and I had to tap her arm to ask her to smile. Angie didn't seem happy about my request but she did force a smile on her face. That smile was fakest than any smile I had ever seen. Moreover, even if people didn't understand that it was a fake smile, they would have realized something was wrong by seeing Angie's yellow eyes.

By the time Angie forced herself to smile, the Emperor and his family reached us. We all bowed and we waited for the Emperor to speak first:

"This is a very lovely ballroom. I knew that the Duke had very good taste."

He didn't wish Angie a happy birthday and that made me angry. He was the Emperor and he was openly disrespecting her. I couldn't let him be:

"Princess Astéria Glisten doesn't deserve any less for her birthday."

Everyone got surprised by my cold voice. The people around us tried getting closer to hear me get punished but they didn't dare get too close because they were still scared of Angie. The Emperor seemed amused for now and Saber seemed to really like this ball. Alastair on the other hand was the only one who seemed uncomfortable and he was trying to vanish into thin air.

"Astéria is very lucky to have such a good friend as you.

-Princess Astéria Glisten."

I knew that the point of his sentence was to aim at the gossip between Angie and me but the most important right now was to give Angie the respect she deserved. I had completely forgotten about Angie's condition and it made my blood boil. No one was going to disrespect my girlfriend. Not even the Emperor. I would slap him if needed.

Hearing me insist on Angie's Princess title made everyone gasp around us before whispering loudly. Saber had to hold back a laugh while Alastair took a step towards me to stop me from talking. Saber immediately held him back by the arm and Alastair looked at the Emperor, terrified.

The latter didn't like my correction and frowned, raising his chin more and more for some reason. Because I was so open, he gave up on implying too and said:

"Watch your tone, young lady.

-I will. If you respect the Princess.

-Are you threatening the Emperor?"

As he said that, the knights around him started fidgeting and some of them even stepped closer. Angie didn't like that and she pulled me even closer to her, ready to attack. Seeing her do so made the Emperor smirk:

"I see that Astéria is very friendly with you."

I rolled my eyes:

"Princess Astéria and I are not friends. Stop trying to imply things and just say it clearly. We are dating. She is my girlfriend and we love each other."

My honesty made the Emperor frown again:

"How dare you imply such things?

-I am not the one implying anything. I said it clearly. I love this woman with all my heart."

It wasn't the moment at all but hearing me say this made Angie smile and she turned to me with big shining eyes:

"You love me with all your heart?

-Of course I do. Didn't you know?

-I do but I really like hearing it."

She made me laugh and I caressed her cheek:

"Then I will say it more often."

Seeing us being all lovey dovey made the crowd grimace and the Emperor was far from impressed too:

"This must be a sick joke. If you two don't stop this right now, you will have to bear the consequences.

-Bring it on."

Homosexuality was still against the law even if the new generation started accepting it and the Emperor had, according to the law, every right to put us in jail. Therefore he shook his head before motioning to his knights:

"I didn't want to do this."

His men didn't have time to move however because their armors suddenly started weighing hundred times more than usual. They all collapsed and most of them lost consciousness. Seeing the scene made a few people panic and they ran away without a second of hesitation. Everyone knew that Angie was a wizard but because magic was prohibited, no one thought that she learned how to use it. Even the Emperor lost a few colors suddenly. He didn't have any wizards on his side.

"What do you think you are doing? The use of magic is forbidden, you filthy wizard.

-Don't you dare call her that! You old scarecrow!

-Insulting the royal family is punishable by death. Guards!"

The Emperor had completely forgotten about the state his guards were in and he looked around a bit scared. Now that he couldn't ask for help, the Emperor turned to Alastair:

"Do something about your fiancé!

-I am not his freaking fiancé!"

Alastair had no idea where to put himself at this point and he just listened to me screaming, his hands raised in the air as if he would do something:

"How many times do I have to say it? I broke off the engagement! Long ago! Let's move on! If there is one person I will marry it's Angie and no one else."

I felt Angie's hands jerk on my back:

"Is this a proposal?

-No, it wouldn't be romantic."

I got scared that Angie would misunderstand and get hurt so I quickly added:

"But I do want to marry you someday."

Angie smiled and she bent dangerously closer to me:

"Me too."

The Emperor just had to destroy the mood didn't he?

"Two women cannot get married."

He didn't say any more and when I turned to him I noticed that his mouth disappeared. It literally disappeared and the Emperor started touching the new skin with terrified eyes. He tried screaming but when he couldn't he got even more scared. The few people left became his voice and started howling before getting as far away as possible from Angie.

Even Saber opened wide eyes when she saw what happened and she started staring at the Emperor as if wondering how this was possible. She seemed a bit too curious for it to be normal and if she could have she could have touched the new skin. Sverre didn't move an inch the whole time and I started to wonder if he was still alive at this point. Alastair on the other hand tried grabbing his father's hand to see if he was okay. However as soon as the Emperor felt the touch he pushed his son away with force and rushed away.

Angie didn't care one bit about what was going on and she had continued staring at me the whole time.