Chapter 70

I jumped up and ran as far away from Angie as possible. The latter stayed there with her hand still hung in the air and her eyes white.

"I don't have my period. It's late as usual.

-I see. Then why don't you let me touch you?"

I was thinking of something to say but I could feel that there was no use lying. Angie was seeing right through me anyway.

"You don't have to help me. I am fine, it doesn't hurt."

Angie slowly stood up as if she was trying to approach a wild animal.

"Don't get closer! I am not letting you absorb anything.

-Poehina... Calm down.

-No! I am not calming down!"

I couldn't even hide the truth for a day. It was pissing me off. Was I this bad of an actor? My ego crumbled and I was really ashamed. Why couldn't I do this? I could bear some pain for a few days. Why didn't she let me do this?

"It doesn't hurt that bad. I thought it would be way worse.

-I felt your pain before. I know how bad it is."

Angie's voice was way more gentle than usual and she slowly walked up to me, her hands up in a sign of peace.

"If you get closer I am going to get mad!"

Angie didn't stop walking and I soon couldn't retreat anymore because of the wall behind me.

"If you touch me I am going to bite you."

Nothing was working and Angie seemed determined to help me. She was getting closer and closer and I didn't know what to do anymore.

"Don't you dare touch me. You don't have my consent."

Angie finally froze. She looked at me with pleading eyes and she seemed in way more pain than I was:

"I beg you. Let me help you."

Her voice sounded so shaky that I almost yielded but immediately shook my head.

"No. I don't want you to touch me.

-Please... You can't feel any pain... I..."

She looked so desperate that I felt my heart ache.

"Please..."

Why did I feel like the bad guy right now? I was trying to protect her.

"No."

Angie stared at me for long seconds, as if thinking of a solution.

"Could I just touch your finger for a second? That would be more than enough.

-No.

-I won't touch you ever again.

-That's not the problem. You can touch me all you want but you can't absorb my pain. If you promise that then I am going to let you come closer."

Angie thought about it for a few more seconds before sighing:

"Okay."

I frowned. It couldn't be that easy. Angie would never give up on helping me. I thought she would touch me no matter what I said but it seemed she had something else in mind. What could she be thinking? I really wanted to hear her thoughts right now.

"You are not going to absorb my pain?"

Angie shook her head.

"I won't.

-You promise?

-Yes."

I was so confused that I had no idea what to say anymore. Seeing me puzzled, Angie looked at her feet: