Chapter 42

One second Iris's friend was in front of me and the next second she hit the wall with an inimaginable force. The sound gave me goosebumps and I could see her spit some blood before fainting. I was so surprised that I needed a few seconds to understand what had happened. I heard people screaming and saw them run up to the body. Teachers ran in hearing the commotion and when they took the young girl away I noticed the blood on the wall as well as the hole she left behind.

Still not hearing sounds, I turned towards Astéria knowing that she was the only person who could do this. Meeting my gaze, Astéria immediately cupped my face with her hands:

"Are you okay? Do you feel sick? Did she hurt you?"

Hearing me laugh Astéria froze.

"Sorry."

I shouldn't have laughed, especially when someone almost died. I shouldn't be thinking this but Astéria was so cool when she defended me. I shouldn't find her attractive for almost killing someone. Get yourself together, my heart. Iris's friend wasn't dead fortunately and after the teacher came back to tell us that she was fine she immediately looked at Astéria:

"Follow me immediately."

Astéria was ready to go but I stood in front of her.

"Astéria didn't do anything. I was the one who fought."

The teacher didn't believe me and that made me frown.

"We both know what happened. Miss Glisten, let's go."

I didn't budge.

"We didn't agree on something and she said very offensive things so I lost my cool and insulted her. I didn't start anything and was waiting for her to hit me first but then... Then it was an accident. Astéria only wanted to protect me from being hurt."

The teacher seemed exasperated with me and told both of us to follow her to her office. Of course we got yelled at for long minutes saying that this was really dangerous and that our classmate could have died. I waited for her to finish knowing that she was right but once she stopped to breathe I added:

"I am really sorry about what we did. It will never happen again. It is not an excuse but she started it by saying very racist and homophobic things."

Was I defending someone who almost killed an adolescent? Maybe. But I wanted to. Moreover, this was good for me. I needed to be on Astéria's side and she would remember me helping her later now. Now she owed me and she did in fact only defend me. She shouldn't have gone that hard but she didn't start things. I had to play devil's advocate. I had to defend her with all I had. That girl was alive. That was all that mattered. And she was going to think twice before bullying anyone ever again. If I could have, I would have done it myself but thanks to Astéria, I didn't have to dirty my hands.

"We stood up for human rights. They said unacceptable things about wizards and homosexuals, in front of a wizard moreover.

-You should have been the bigger person and taken upon yourself.

-Should we have stayed put and just took the bullying? That's not what I believe in. Why are you defending only one type of student? You should be taking everyone's side the same way.

-Should I be taking your side when you almost killed a student?

-Poehina didn't do anything wrong I..."

I pushed Astéria:

"I admit that we went too far and once again, it was the last time. We are still children and are learning how to fight for ourselves in this frustrating world. But what are we supposed to do when justice is not on our side? Would you have done anything if we told you what they said? You would have just brushed it off.