Chapter 46

"Poehina, may I have a word with you?"

I jumped and hit my table so hard that my books fell off. Astéria grabbed them before they could hit the ground and put them back on my desk.

"I didn't want to scare you, I am sorry.

-Oh, it's okay. I was just a bit surprised.

-May we talk for a few minutes?

-Could we talk after class? The teacher will arrive soon."

Astéria hesitated before saying:

"Class is over.

-What?"

I almost jumped up. It was in fact noon and I realized that I spaced out for the entirety of this morning. I didn't even remember what classes we had and felt terrible. How could I dissociate for so long? And where did Azore go? Why didn't she wake me up?

"Are you okay?"

Astéria wanted to check my forehead but I dodged.

"I'm fine. I was just... I just had a bad night."

A worried look appeared in her eyes suddenly and she bent closer to me:

"Did you have nightmares?"

I didn't. I just had too many things to think about and couldn't focus on anything else. Between Sverre and Orange I couldn't have a second of peace. I couldn't stop thinking about my plan but every second I would get distracted by what happened the night before. Therefore there wasn't enough space in my head for anything else at the moment.

"Yes."

This was a way better excuse but seeing Astéria's face I immediately regretted lying. She knelt down in front of me and gently took my hand before caressing it's back:

"Would you feel better telling me about them? I would gladly listen. I heard that chamomile tea is very good to help ease stress and it could help you with your nightmares. Or we could also try those candies that are said to help calm down before exams. I will get some information about it first to be sure it isn't bad for...

-Astéria."

I had to stop her because she was rambling.

"I'm sorry. Am I stressing you right now?"

She immediately let go of my hand. She seemed to have really liked me defending her and I almost believed that she worried about me. Maybe her act was slowly turning real. No, what was I thinking? This was Astéria Glisten. I had to stop putting my guards down but I couldn't get used to her apologizing to me.

"It's okay. It was just a bad dream and I went back to sleep. It happens.

-Are you sure?

-Yes, thank you for caring.

-I could buy a few candies just in case it happens again.

-Thank you very much but I don't need them."

Astéria didn't seem ready to give up so I quickly changed the topic:

"What did you want to talk to me about?"

Astéria looked around and people jumped when her eyes landed on them scared to finish smashed against a wall.

"Maybe we should go somewhere else."

I followed her to our staircase and waited patiently for her to talk. I had no idea what she was going to say but at least this was a good distraction from my problems.

"I know about your plan to make Sverre king."

I froze and felt all my muscles shake. She knew? How? What was she going to do with that information? Was what I was always scared of happening? Was she going to use this against me? I knew that I should have kept my guard up. I shouldn't have been seduced by her face. I was stupid. So stupid. But how did she even find out? I haven't told anyone. Was she bluffing?