The Girl in the black dress

I headed through the hotel in my a-line white dress with black piping along each seam, my fiery hair half pinned up and half allowed to cascade down to my shoulders and my ankle boots to seal my look. I knew I had to look glamorous after all it was well expected of me. I had taken a year off for myself after my Moscow victory mostly just to spend time with myself, with Jolene, up keeping the house and to mostly decide my next steps given such a victory. I have to admit I was nervous about this weekend, not just about returning after my absence, not that it worried me too much. But about... seeing him. I knew I would and honestly I had been avoiding him. After our... heated discussion before I left for Moscow, I was worried about him, about us even if there really was much of an us.  When he called me up in Moscow there was no one's voice I wanted to hear more than that of benny watts, and he granted me that and I am ever grateful for his assistance. But, my hopes were dashed when I stepped off that plane. I landed into Kennedy airport in New York as it was the best to fly in to come from Moscow and all, I hoped and I suppose expected for me to get off the plane grab my bags and like a terrible movie he'd be waiting for me with a hug and a kiss, he'd take me back to that dirty little basement we'd go over the chess games in ludicrous detail and we'd end the night satisfied in each other's arms, however, that didn't happen. 

No one was at the airport for me. I called his phone from the lounge but no answer. So I gritted my teeth and paid for a cab to the Brooklyn basement and yet I found it empty. Luckily I wasn't waiting long, as by the time I reached the sidewalk his beetle pulled up. I smiled and for a moment assumed we must have just missed each other and we'd laugh about it over a game of speed chess tonight. I rather foolishly believed that everything was fine, and good, and had returned to his things when I left New York before everything happened. But I was wrong.

"What? No, I don't have a hotel I assumed I'd just -"

"So you just assumed I'd let you stay? Without so much as a call?"

"Okay sorry I didn't call I just thought I could stay with you"

"I don't really think that's a good idea. Do you?" He says heading down to his apartment not even so much as offering me a coffee.

At the time I was so angry at him but I had since mellowed and come to understand a bit better. I kinda assumed I could just come back to Benny as I had to Harry, abandoned him, left him hanging and then be welcomed with open arms when I came back but no, not with benny. We had barely spoken since and when we did he was clear they were social calls, to talk chess and friends. No, I miss you's. No begging to come to New York. Nothing. It was like before our time together. I understood why I had bruised him before Moscow. And that's not something Benny forgives easily. Even if part of me was still hopeful we could rekindle our New York snuggles and the sweet affection that came with it.

I reached the main lounge area for the hotel where everyone was congregated having a drink before the first games at eleven. Everyone was smoking, drinking and lounging about as usual. I didn't drink, I didn't want to this early not if this tournament would be long lasting as it usually was. I scanned the room at my competition while also semi-scanning for the goth cowboy.

But I heard that family cocky tone "Harmon"

"Watts" I smirked turning on my heels to see him and there he loomed. Stood on the carpet in his usual black shoes however they were slightly different they didn't have that layer of dust and scuff across them, they looked as if they where polished an hour ago his dark blue jeans hugged him close, his leather belt tightly around him with his holster down his thigh his knife sat there as always, his dark green button down barely buttoned exposing his chest and silver chains, his jacket missing, his hat playfully in his hand, his hair fluffy and well fixed, his rings across his fingers and chains around his wrists, he still smelt of his cheap cologne and slightly of mahogany and leather, he looked obviously the same but cleaner, tidier, and that was strange for benny even if he still hadn't had a shave. "Been a while"