Voice Of an Angel

I sat at the table two coffees deep into my day, I wasn't even half way through my game yet replaying with myself as usual, I didn't bother with a clock as I wanted to focus on my play without the restraint of time. The apartment was cold and damp as rain was battering the city, gray clouds hung low, Only the lamp by my chair to illuminate the room, I kept my bare feet off the floor as I focused on my game. Admittedly it was taking me a lot longer than usual but I kept getting distracted.

I know she wasn't doing it intentionally, honestly I doubt she even realised I could hear her.

The glass door to the bedroom opened a mere crack just enough that at the table I could peek inside, her lamp on low beside the bed causing a fire like orange glow that often flickered cause shadows to dance across the apartment floor through the frosted window. I stopped my game again resting my elbow on the table and my chin on my hand watching her for a moment.

She sat perched on the beds corner a few items cascaded across the sheets, her small mirror sat on the chest of draws pulled as close to her as possible, she had been doing her nails causing the unmistakable smell of nail varnish to wash across the apartment, but now she worked on her make up slowing adding various colours and shadows to her face thought all her little brushes, much like a grand artist builds images of trees and flowers. All the while she sang.

Lowly and softly as she worked.

I felt... beyond lucky to hear her.

She sounded like an angel, or a siren.

The sort of voice you'd walk off a cliff for, I didn't get to hear her very often as she was so aware of herself, and so shy that she would always stop herself once she found out I was listening to her.

But for a few brief moments I could just sit and listen.

She worked away as she sweetly sang until she dropped her brush off the table and as she picked it up she noticed me looking

"Oooh-" she jumped turning as red as a rose "sorry Benny"

I chuckled "you have nothing to be sorry about, I like listening to you"

"You don't have to be nice" she says returning to her work

"I don't. Luckily I have only compliments"

"That's what you always say"

"Because it's true." I told her "I could listen to you forever"

She smiled a little and as soon as she was done with her make up she fixed her hair one last time getting up and readjusting her little dark black dress and slipping on her small silver locket

"How do I look?" She asks nervously fiddling with her dress

I couldn't help my smile getting up to give her a cuddle and a little kiss "you look beautiful"

"It's not too much?"

"Not at all. You need to make a good impression it's good to be memorable honey" I told her

"If you're sure benny" she nods grabbing her bag and getting all her little things she needed I could tell she was fearful adding little things to her bag to delay her leaving

"Hun, your pacing again"

"Maybe I just shouldn't go, knowone wants to hear me sing"

"Y/n" I sighed "they wouldn't have asked you to come for an audition if they didn't want to hear you sing" I told her "and even if they don't, I'll always want to hear you sing." I told her stroking her chin and give her a kiss. "Hey, where's that smile?" I asked and she blushed but smiled "there we are. Beautiful"

"Okay, I'll be back soon"

"Take you time" I told her "good luck honey" I smiled kissing her head

"Thank you benny" she smiled before she headed off out, so I made myself another coffee and returned to my game I did my best to just focus on the chess even if admittedly I was a little nervous for her heading out all by herself but I did hope it went well for her, I lost track of time in my game as usual until I saw the door open to y/n returning home. She sat her bag down hiding her face behind her hair so I got up and carefully approached her as you would a street cat or large dog

"So?" I asked gently "How'd it go?"

When she picked her head up it was clear she had been crying her eyeliner run down her face causing deep black tears down her face she shook her head, I did my best not to sigh or seem disappointed as that would only make her feel worse so I pulled her into my chest letting her wipe away her little tears on my shirt rubbing up and down her back and kissing her head "it's okay, maybe it just wasn't meant to be. Hey come on we can have ice cream and get tucked into bed okay?"

"Okay" she nods

I waited around for a few minutes outside the little bar watching cars go back and forth on the old cracked streets, the rain still plundering the city, the sweet glow across the city from the neon signs. I waited a little while more as I didn't want to be spotted. After a good while I headed into the bar and taking a seat far enough back grabbing myself a blue ribbon. As soon as the music stopped I excitedly turned to see the stage in the corner of the bar, it was empty for a few moments before y/n walked up nervously to the small mic for a moment silence flooded the bar until the music started and she sang, I couldn't help my smile and almost tearing up watching her so nervously but sing so beautifully.

I sat in bed with my book often glancing to y/n with her own book too "Y/n?"

"Yes benny?"

"Are you okay?"

"I think so" she nods

I smiled and put my book down wrapping my arms around her and nuzzling into her chest she smiled putting her book down and hugging me too "Sing to me"

"Humm?"

"Sing to me sweetheart"

"Really?"

"Yeah, sign me to sleep"

"Alright" she giggled stroking my hair as she began to softly sing. I sighed happily, relaxing hearing her sweet voice to let me drift off to sleep.

I fixed the hotel room curtains back where they should be, and I went to the small uncomfortable bed laying back looking at the ceiling, I knew I'd struggle to sleep, I always do when I'm away from my own bed. But at least I had something, I grabbed my bag and slot the tape into the small player that I sat by the bed and attached the headphones into it so I could lay down with them on, letting the tape play listening to the grainy badly recorded sound of her sweet voice, I smiled cuddling my pillow listening to her voice as I drifted off to sleep.