Laundry

I was sitting on the small ottomans in the basement that Benny called home, Next week was Paris and we were going together as Co-Champions this year. He had graciously offered his apartment so I didn't have to book a hotel so we could train and prep for the games ahead. Plus I wanted to come to New York for some shopping anyway. But this place isn't exactly what I imagined... then again now thinking about it, I'm not sure I did imagine Benny to live any better than this, but it's just a little jarring when it's true. I glanced away from my book and looked around the grey dimly lit basement, the shower in the corner, no sofa, frosted window to the bedroom, the kitchen not much more than a fridge, a counter and a single stovetop. And there he sat utterly in his element at his table no shoes but still black socks, his dark jeans his belt sat comfortably his knife in its holster, a black t-shirt with his green textured shirt on over it with the sleeves rolled up, his chains against his chest and his arms, rings across his fingers, he sat his coffee cup on the table fixed his facial hair and focused back to his board moving the piece he had been contemplating for the last ten minutes.

"Benny?" I asked

"Yeah?" He asks glancing up

"I don't mean to ... pry into your personal business -"

"But you're going to?"

"I am going to," I nodded "Do you actually live like this?"

"Yeah?"

"This isn't like some elaborate prank? And this is like where you store your chess board or something and you actually have a decent semi-detached townhouse in Queens?" I asked

"You're really struggling with this aren't you?"

"I'm just... curious."

"I like it"

"I mean I know New York isn't the cheapest place but..."

"But ?"

"But come on. I cannot repeat this enough: your shower is next to your fridge. You wash your ass beside where you make food. You have a window in your bedroom. That's not wallpaper that's just concrete"

"I like it"

"Really? Because I'm pretty sure you can afford better"

"Are you now?"

"We're co-companions I know how much you earn. Unless you're getting a bonus because of your additional appendage"

"Appendage?" He asked looking confused

"Your penis"

"Oh. No y/n, price money does not differ between appendages"

"Every other job I've ever worked does"

"The chess federation doesn't give a damn about appendages y/n"

"Still..."

"I like this place"

"...that brings up a good point actually... I'm not seeing a washing machine. Anywhere?"

"No,"

"Is there... a secret Washing machine?"

"No"

"Okay, do you need to go to someplace in the building and do laundry?"

"You wanna do some laundry?"

"Yes please"

"Alright, get your stuff," he says getting up and heading into his room, I gathered my laundry unsure what to do with it all and he returned with a large drawstring bag "Throw your stuff in here," he says dropping it on the floor with a thud