Thirty-six - speech

[6:26pm] 01/12/22

Charles: Eric where are you, it's almost time for my presentation?

Eric: I'll be there very soon my love

Charles: m'kay

-----

Charles' POV

I looked around, there was still no sign of Eric. Everyone had sat down and was waiting for the presentation to start. My siblings were in the front row, grinning at me supportively; I tried to smile back but all I could do was stare at the empty seat right in front of where I would be standing.

What if he didn't come? What would I do? How could I continue if my favourite person in the world didn't come to this very special occasion for me?

"May Professor of Genetics Charles Michael Francis take the stage?" The University's dean stated.

I sighed, after taking one last look around the hall I walked over and climbed the stage to a round of applause. I put on a smile and nodded my head towards all the clapping people. I walked over to the Dean and faced the audience as he began his speech.

"We are here today to celebrate the achievement of Professor Francis. He has now written his 5th paper after a lot of careful research on his field of study. He has become the first professor to publish this many papers in just 3 years. It is an honour to have Charles Francis here at New York university. I ask you-" the Dean was cut off by the door opening and a man walking quickly in.

It was Eric. I sighed with relief as my eyes lit up with joy. My mouth formed a wide, true smile as I caught his eye. "Sorry I'm late." He mouthed as he sat down next to Eleanor.

I shook my head slightly, telling him it was fine. Eleanor punched Eric's arm and I heard him mumble "I said I was sorry Eleanor."

After shooting Eleanor a sharp look, I turned and faced the audience again - my eyes flitting towards Eric every few seconds - as the Dean resumed his speech.

"As I was saying, I ask you all to give Professor Charles Michael Francis a round of applause as I present him with this award."

The Dean pinned a badge to the lapel of my blazer then handed me a certificate. I turned to face the audience who were all clapping and cheering. However it was not them I was interested in. My eyes found Eric who was clapping very loudly. His eyes met mine; I grinned he continued to clap louder than anyone causing me to blush.

My brothers whistled as they clapped and I chuckled however I didn't take my eyes off Eric.

"It is now time for the Professor to give a speech." The Dean announced, handing me the microphone.

The hall fell silent and after taking a deep breath I began to talk. "Thank you everyone for being here today. I want to take this time to thank you all for reading my paper and showing your support it means a lot. However there are a few people who deserve to be mentioned by name. I ask Eric Schweitzer and Lily, Logan, James and Eleanor Francis to stand up."

The five people stood up, I looked over at them and smiled. "I shall go in order of age, youngest to oldest so first big thanks to my youngest sibling Eleanor. If it wasn't for her I would never have found my passion for teaching, when we were growing up she would ask me to tell her what I learned in biology at school which is how I fell in love with teaching. Next I want to thank my brothers, the twins, Logan and James. You always supported me and made me laugh growing up. You could always break my "responsible eldest child" facade-"

"I think you mean boring grandpa personality." Called out the twins.

The audience gasped at the fact my brothers had dared to interrupt me. However I laughed then continued, "ah you may be right dearest brothers. Next I would like to thank my sister Lily. Thank you for being there to help me and support me. Finally I would like to thank the most important person in the world to me. Eric Schweitzer."

My eyes met Eric's and I smiled widely at him, he turned slightly pink but grinned back. I continued to talk, without loosing eye contact with the man I love. "I don't even know where to begin. I suppose it is easy to say that if it wasn't for Eric, I wouldn't have published this paper. He's supported me through everything. Eric, you've mad me laugh, smile and cry in every good way possible. You are always there for me and I want you to know I'll always be there for you too. If it wasn't for me meeting him a few months ago I would be a completely different person, so I want to say a big thank you to Eric Schweitzer, the man who none of this would have been possible without, the man who has made my life a million times brighter. I love you Eric, you are the love of my life."

The audience gasped.

"Seriously, none of you knew I was gay? I've never been very discreet about it." I chuckled.

I stared into Eric's eyes and saw that his eyes were trying not to leak tears. Despite his "I don't give a shit" persona he really is a big softie.

I handed the Dean the microphone then descended down the stage. Grinning widely, I walked over to Eric. When I reached him I smiled then whispered "can I kiss you?"

"Of course my love. He murmured.

"Good." I whispered before pulling him down by his tie and smashing our lips together.

Eric's hand rested on my wasit as we kissed. It was gentle and chaste but I didn't care, all that mattered is that I was kissing Eric in front of hundreds of people.

As we pulled away, people began to clap and some (cough cough Eleanor and Logan) wolf whistled. Eric and I both turned slightly pink however it didn't wipe our goofy grins off our faces. I felt a hand wrap around my waist and I grinned up at Eric before gently kissing his lips again.