Fifty-five - accident

[4:19pm] 20/12/22

Charles: Eri help me

Charles: I need help

Charles: *sends location*

Eric: I'm coming right away

-----

Eric's POV

I rushed out of my office building and followed the map so that I could find Charles. He wasn't far away but he needed me badly - I could just tell. I saw a figure laying on the pavement wearing a black coat. It was Charles. I sprinted over to him, scared that what I would find would be the lifeless form of Charles.

"CHARLES." I shouted.

"Eri," he winced.

I knelt down next to him, Charles' face was contorted with pain.

"Charles what happened?" I asked urgently.

"I came to see you to tell you Happy Hanukkah but I was hit by a car." He whispered.

Charles eyes drooped shut.

"No no no, I need you to stay with me. Open your eyes Charles. Charles, open your eyes. Charlie." I instructed.

Charles' eyes flew open "I never liked it when people called me Charlie but I like it when you do it." He mumbled.

"Right, we need to get you to the hospital." I stated.

"The man who hit me called an ambulance." Charles murmured.

I was about to reply when an ambulance pulled up.

"What happened?" Shouted one of the nurses.

"He was hit by a car." I shouted.

Two men rushed over and tried to pick Charles up and put him on a stretcher however Charles cried out in pain.

"Stop you're hurting him, let me take him." I shouted.

I bent down and placed one arm under Charles' back.

"I'm sorry if this hurts liebling." I murmured.

I put my other arm underneath Charles' legs and lifted him up. Charles whimpered slightly but didn't cry out. I slowly walked over to the ambulance and laid Charles down on the stretcher.

"We're going to have to ask you to leave now mate." A man said gruffly.

Charles sobbed slightly, I grabbed his hand and stroked his hair gently.

"There is no way I'm leaving the man I love when he's in pain." I stared coldly at the men.

Eventually they turned away and shut the ambulance doors.

"Eri, don't leave me." Charles cried.

"I would never leave you Charlie." I murmured, kissing his forehead gently.

"My legs, I can't feel my legs." Charles whispered.

Oh no. No no no. Please don't be what I think this is. No no no. Please.

I wrapped my arm around Charles carefully and held him close. "Don't worry love, it will be ok."

The ambulance stopped and the doors opened. Two men grabbed the stretcher and lifted Charles up. My hand squeezed Charles' tightly, reminding him that I was still there and I wasn't going to leave him.

They walked into the hospital and rushed him to a consultation room. A doctor walked in the room and shut the door.

"What happened?" She asked.

Charles tried to calm his sobs of pain but it wasn't working. I gently kissed his lips and murmured "Shhh Charlie, don't worry I'm here."

After taking a deep breath Charles responded "I was hit by a car, now I can't feel my legs."

"Right we are going to have to take you for an emergency scan as it is possible you may be paralysed." The doctor said kindly.

Charles sobbed - it was heartbreaking to hear him like that. I couldn't bare it.

"Sir we are going to have to ask you to wait outside while we examine Mr..."

"Francis." Mumbled Charles.

I kissed Charles on the forehead before leaving the room. I stood outside and paced back and forth. My stomach was twisted with worry and I felt sick. I couldn't bare to see Charles in so much pain - it made me want to murder someone. Actually murdering someone doesn't sound like a bad idea...

Thirty gut-wrenching minutes later the door to the consultation room opened.

"You can come in." The doctor said to me.

I rushed inside and went straight over to Charles. His cheeks were tracked with tears, I had to try not to cry at the sight. Gently I wiped the tears from his cheeks and kissed his forehead.

"Eric." He mumbled.

"Yes, I'm here Charles." I whispered.

The doctor shut the door.

"Well I have good news and bad news. The bad news is that Mr Francis is paralysed from where the car hit him in the back, however the good news is is that it is not permanent. He should be able to walk again anywhere between a few days and a few weeks." The doctor announced.

I sighed with relief, at least it wasn't permanent paralysis.

"How will I get around?" Charles asked.

"I could always carry you." I suggested.

I succeeded in making Charles chuckle ever so slightly.

"There's the beautiful laugh I've been desperate to hear." I murmured, kissing his lips gently.

"Mr Francis, you will be issued with a wheelchair, you have the choice of an electric one or one that requires you to be pushed around." The doctor stated.

"An electric one please." Charles stated.

I smiled - he was so independent. The doctor nodded then left the room. She returned a few minutes later with a grey wheelchair that had a small controller on the right hand armrest.

"Eric can you help me get into the wheelchair?" Charles whispered.

I smiled at him before nodding. Carefully, I picked Charles up then gently placed him in the wheelchair.

"Does your insurance cover it?" I asked.

"Yes, the university will pay for it, it's one of the perks of being a professor." Charles smiled slightly.

"Excellent, you may leave now." The doctor said.

I waited for Charles to wheel himself out of the room before walking out after him.