Seventy-eight - scene

Eric's POV

I saw Charles standing outside the car, evidently he realised that he didn't have the keys and was regretting leaving. Walking over to him, I watched as he sank down onto the floor, leaning against the car.

"Regretting not asking for the keys?" I asked.

He looked up at me, his blue eyes staring innocently back at me.

"Oh hey Eric, I didn't expect you to be honest." He responded.

"Of course I'd be here, you're my fiancé."

I sat down next to him and pulled him into a hug. His head rested on my chest as he mumbled "sorry for causing a scene."

"Charles you don't have to be sorry, everyone is on your side by the way." I smiled, running my hand through his hair.

"They are?" He asked, confused.

I moved him so he was on my lap, his legs wrapped around my back. As I rested my forehead against his I whispered "yes, my father is a dick, don't listen to him."

He buried his head in my shoulder "I just wanted him to like me." He mumbled.

I knew that. His fucking parents fucked him up so now he feels worthless if he isn't liked by everyone. I held him tightly "Don't worry Charlie, he doesn't even like me."

"Is that supposed to be comforting or depressing?" Charles asked weakly.

I chuckled "the first."

Charles moved his head, we were now eye to eye. He closed the gap between us and kissed my lips. It started off slow however I deepened the kiss when he wrapped his arms around my neck, pulling me close.

"Did you want to leave?" I asked when we broke apart a few minutes later.

"I don't know, I want to get to know the rest of your family however I don't particularly want to talk to your father." Charles responded.

"I don't blame you." I announced, laughing, "now do you see why I avoid all contact with him?"

Charles chuckled "yes, I see exactly what you mean."

It didn't matter that we were sat on the pavement in the cold January air. What mattered was that we were together. All I cared about was holding Charles in my arms, breathing in the wonderful smell of his cologne, gently kissing his soft lips, listening to the gentle thump of his heartbeat and caressing his beautiful hair.

"Here's my plan, I'll go get our coats so we can go home, get into bed and do whatever you want and then at some point I'll invite my other relatives around at a later date so you can get to know them a bit better." I suggested.

I felt Charles nod against my shoulder, "sounds good." He mumbled, his voice slightly muffled.

"You know that means you'll have to get off me." I grinned.

I felt Charles squeeze me tighter, "noooooooo."

I laughed "sorry Schatz."

After another 5 minutes of hugging (something I certainly wasn't complaining about), Charles clambered off my lap. I got up from the cold pavement and stuck my hand into the pocket of my slacks, rummaging around for my keys. When I pulled them out, I handed them over to Charles who grateful accepted them. I kissed  him gently before turning away and walking back into my father's house.

Everyone was waiting in the living room, glaring at my father.

"We're leaving, it was nice seeing most of you." I stated cooly.

Everyone noticed the change in how I was acting. My cold, unloving dickhead facade was back in place, the carefree, in love and kind person that they saw earlier was gone.

"Damn, Charles really does break through Eric's shell." Lyra whispered.

"My fiancé apologised for causing a scene and wishes that he could get to know most of you more as he is a permanent fixture in my life. I shall invite you around at some point. For now I have to comfort the life of my life who is rather upset because of a certain someone." I glowered at the man who originally gave me his last name.

"Tell Charles he doesn't need to apologise." My aunt announced.

"Agreed." My granda nodded.

My eyes landed on my father. His face was pale and his eyes were cold however there seemed to be a hint of sadness in them.

"Mr Gallagher, don't expect me to be seeing you again. You will not be invited to the wedding." I commented before turning to the rest of the room.

"Bye Eric." My grandma called.

"Goodbye." I called stiffly before walking out of the room and grabbing the coats belonging to Charles and myself.

"Eric," My cousins called, "wait up."

"What?" I asked gruffly.

They walked over, smiling at me.

"You really love him don't you." Niamh smiled.

I nodded jerkily "I do."

"You're not a wanker when you're around him." Sean commented with a grin, coffee still in his hand.

"Depends how you use the phrase." I smirked.

They rolled their eyes, "I want to hear that story later." Lyra grinned.

I rolled my eyes.

"We can see how happy you are with him and wanted to say that we are pleased for you and congratulations on your engagement, you deserve it." Niamh smiled.

For the first time in the most recent interaction with my family, I gave a small smile before responding.

"Thank you."

"You're not as much of a dickhead as you make yourself out to be." Sean snorted.

I glared at him "you wanna bet?"

He covered "um, maybe not."

"We'll come and see you very soon." Lyra grinned excitedly.

I nodded, gave my cousins a sort-of smile before walking back to my car.