Fifty-one - Hanukkah

[10:19am] 18/12/22

Eric: good morning my beautiful fiancé

Charles: Good morning handsome

Charles: Happy Hanukkah!

Eric: you remembered

Charles: of course I did

Eric: I love you Charles

Charles: I love you too handsome

Charles: I have a gift for you, but I'm not sure when to give it to you as Hanukkah lasts 8 days

Eric: I don't mind love, you can give it to me any day

Charles: I'll give it to you today

Eric: thank you so much

Charles: it's not a problem darling

[3:04pm]

Eric: are you home?

Charles: yes

Eric: good, I'm coming home early as it's Hanukkah

Charles: yay I can give you your present

Eric: I'm excited

Charles: I'm excited for your reaction

[3:10pm]

Eric: I'm just leaving now

Charles: yay

-----

Eric's POV

I walked into my apartment and found Charles lounging on the sofa in a pair of my joggers and one of my t-shirts. He looked adorable.

"Well this is an adorable sight." I grinned.

"ERICCCCC!" Exclaimed Charles, running over and hugging me.

If you saw him hug me, you'd think we were a long-distance couple who hadn't seen each other for months rather than a few hours.

I chuckled then hugged him back "hey love."

Charles stood on his tiptoes and gently kissed my lips - feeling sorry for him I bent down so he didn't have to stand on his tiptoes. "Thank you." He mumbled, his face flushing.

I didn't say anything, I merely kissed him again. When we broke apart, Charles asked "do you want your present?"

"Yes please love." I smiled.

Charles let go of me then bounded over to a cupboard underneath the TV where we kept a collection of DVDs. He bent down and pulled out a wickerwork basket.

He walked over and handed it to me, smiling nervously, "Happy Hanukkah Eric, I hope you like it."

I opened the basket and found blue and white tissue paper. I pulled it out and gasped. Charles had gotten me so much. He got me my favourite chocolates (Lindt truffles), a stack of books (Murder on the Orient Express, The Kind Worth Killing, Dead in the water, The mysterious case of the Alperton angels and Her Deadly game), a black turtleneck, a notebook (the front cover read: "Do I look like I give a fuck?") and a pair of silver cufflinks.

"Do you like it?" Charles whispered.

"Like it, Charles this is so thoughtful but you didn't have to get me this much." I responded, still in shock.

"I wanted this Hanukkah to be special for you." He smiled.

"Charles, this is the first time in almost 15 years I've celebrated Hanukkah. Celebrating it with you just makes it even more special. I may not believe in my religion much anymore however Hanukkah holds a special place in my heart as it provided me with treasured memories of my mother. Celebrating it with you is the best thing ever." I whispered.

Charles lent up and kissed my lips gently.

"I made jam donuts if you would like to eat them." He announced.

"Yes yes yes!" I exclaimed.

I had never tried Charles' doughnuts however I was sure they would be amazing. As Charles walked into the kitchen, I sat down in the sofa. He sat down next to me a few minutes later, a plate of doughnuts in his hand. "Close your eyes." He whispered.

I did what he asked. I could sense his hand getting closer and closer to my face.

"Open your mouth and bite down." Charles instructed.

I did what he asked and ended up biting into a jam doughnut, covered in sugar. It was heavenly. My eyes flew open and I mumbled with my moth full "holy shit that's amazing."

Charles chuckled, he took a bite of the doughnut he was holding before I snatched it off him and stuffed it into my mouth.

After swallowing his mouthful of doughnut, Charles burst into laughter. I grinned at him, "what you can't blame me, they are sooooo good."

Charles rested his head in my shoulder as he continued to laugh. I took another doughnut and took a bite. They were honestly the best doughnuts I had ever tasted. As we continued to eat the doughnuts, Charles put on some music.

After devouring the doughnuts, Charles got up and put the empty plate on the table.

"Charles, will you light the menorah with me?" I asked.

"Of course I will Eric." He grinned.

I got off the sofa then we both walked over to where the menorah was stood. I struck a match; my hand was shaking as I moved it towards the candle wick. Charles held my hand then moved it towards the candle. Once it was lit, I blew the match out before I spoke, "Blessed is the light of freedom, the light that reminds us to take responsibility for our own lives. Blessed is the light of love, the light that enables us to care for those in need. Blessed is the light of loyalty, the light that helps us keep our promises to those who depend on us."

"That was beautiful Eric." Charles whispered.

I looked down at my fiancé who had his arm wrapped around my waist and his head on my chest. I smiled, then bent down and kissed his lips carefully.

"Thank you for celebrating with me." I murmured.

"It's my pleasure Eric." He responded before pressing his lips to my cheek.