Ninety - Locket

Eric's POV

I chuckled at Eleanor's face. She looked highly offended, extremely embarrassed and as though she didn't care at all. Quite an unusual combination of expressions.

"So Charles, how many siblings do you have?" My granda asked.

"4, I'm the eldest and Els is the youngest." Charles smiled.

"Wow that's a lot of kids, I bet you caused some trouble." Niamh laughed.

I grinned, "Logan is the worst although despite his innocent face, Charles is quite troublesome."

"Me, troublesome? Surely you jest?" My fiancé grinned.

Eleanor snorted with laughter "Charles, I vividly remember you pushing over a glass cabinet. You also came up with every method to get away with breaking all rules."

Charles grinned bashfully. Gazing at him lovingly, I brushed my hand through his hair.

"Erik, do you still have that locket of yours?" Sean asked curiously.

I froze. Why did he have to bring that up. It was too painful. My leg trembled slightly. The locket contained a picture of my mother. She gave me the locket just before she passed away. I hadn't told Charles about the locket, not because I didn't want to. But because it not only had a photograph of my mother in it. There was also a photo of him.

A hand rested on my thigh, running up and down comfortingly.

"You don't have to tell me if you don't want to." Charles whispered.

My heart melted. What did I do to deserve someone as amazing as Charles? I had to tell him.

"Yes, I still have the locket." I announced.

Reaching into my pocket, I pulled out the silver locket that I treasured with my life. Cautiously, I held it out to Charles, he pried it out of my fingers as though it were made of glass.

"It's beautiful." He whispered.

"You can look inside." I mumbled.

My family watched as Charles gently opened it. The picture of my mother made my heart ache - I wish she could have met Charles, she would have loved him. However the picture of Charles made my heart swell. Canceling out the pain.

"Is that your mother?" He asked.

"Yeah, that's...that's Meine Mama." I murmured.

"And...oh Eric..." he gasped.

I stiffened slightly however the small hand that slipped into mine comforted me. Charles moved around so that he was facing me before gently placing the locket over my head. I hadn't worn it like that for years but when Charles put it on me, it felt...right. after tucking the locket under my shirt, he whispered "There, I'm next to your heartbeat - where I should be."

The cool metal against my chest and his simple words made my heart split open. Leaning forward, I captured his lips with my own and kissed him tenderly.

When we pulled apart, Charles was flaming red. I chuckled "are you alright there tomato?"

My grandma laughed, "you really are the sweetest couple ever."

"Agreed." My aunt nodded.

"Erik, where is Shabba?" Lyra asked curiously.

I had to hold back a laugh - I swear she likes my cat more than me.

"I have no idea, I think he's asleep - lazy bastard." I grinned.

"Lazy bastard...were you describing your cat or your Fiancé?" Eleanor smirked.

Charles flipped the slipper off his foot, caught it then neatly threw it so it hit Eleanor on the head.

"Damn that was impressive." My uncle commented.

"Agreed." Sean laughed.

"Oh fuck off you dickhead." Eleanor rolled her eyes.

I roared with laughter then remembered that Lyra was desperate for information about mine and Charles' cat.

"Shabba spends most of his day asleep, his favourite place seems to be Charles wheelchair." I told my cousin.

"He can take it, I am never getting back in that hell hole again." Charles growled.

Concerned, Eleanor glanced over at Charles however I caught her eye and shook her head. Charles didn't want her to know. Soothingly rubbing Charles' arm, I whispered "it's alright handsome, I'm here."

"You have a wheelchair?" Niamh asked Charles.

After wiping the slight grimace off his face, Charles turned to my cousin and stated, "just before Christmas, there was an accident where I was hit by a car which left me temporarily paralysed from the waist down so I had to use a wheelchair for a week or so."

"It was terrifying." Eleanor whispered.

"Wow, I now have a whole new level of respect for you, Charles. I am proud of you." My granda stated.

I could feel Charles begin to shake so I nudged him to stand up.

"Charles and I should start on dinner." I announced.

"You trust Charles in the kitchen?" Eleanor asked.

I shot her a look which she evidently understood before wrapping my arm around Charles' shoulders and leading him into the kitchen.