Wattpad Original
There are 45 more free parts

40

Sweet

"Hi, I'm Marie. Sweet's personal assistant, slash editor, and slash, best friend," Marie introduced herself to Jace.

Jace raised his eyebrows, probably amused by the best friend part. I met Marie during college.

"Jace. Sweet's ex." He looked at me briefly and grinned.

"I heard so much about you," Marie's eyes shifted from me to Jace.

"Oh stop..." I muttered, elbowing Marie's side.

Jace chuckled, his eyes lit up. Curious to know.

"Oh really? I hope they're good things."

"Absolutely good. Even better. You have nothing to worry about." she said, then turned to me, "I have to go, time for my dog's breakfast."

"Sure, I'll see you later." I answered and she left.

The moment the door closed, Jace and I stared at each other.

"So, are you here for the potato festival?" I asked.

"Yeah, that's my secondary reason."

My eyebrows rose, "what's the first?"

He bit his lower lip, then said, "you."

I rolled my eyes and he chuckled.

"Would you like some coffee?" I picked the cups and saucers on top of the center table, and Jace helped me with the plates.

"Yeah, I'd love to."

We went together to the kitchen. He sat at the dining table, while I made him brewed coffee. Just like the old days.

"Are you still dating Mr. bigshot?"

"Yeah, and his name is Sebastian." I put his cup of coffee on the table and sat across from him.

He pursed his lips, his eyebrows creased. "Aside from his looks and deep pockets, I don't understand what you see in that guy. He's a total player. He'll just break your heart."

"Look who's talking. You did break my heart, you left me."

"Not by choice," he sighed, "I have to move with my parents to China. The country is too different from our culture, beliefs and language. They needed me there, especially that Mom has a heart ailment. And I would like to correct your statement. You were the one who broke up with me."

"I was only suggesting, you agreed easily." I raised my hands briefly.

"You were so mad, I thought you made your decision."

"You stormed out of that damn door," I pointed at the kitchen door.

Yes. Our breakup happened in the same spot where we were at that moment. In the kitchen, sitting at the same kitchen table. It seemed like we were reenacting the incident and continued where we left off.

"I was so hurt. I called you several times, but you wouldn't answer."

"You left without saying goodbye." I countered defensively.

"I thought that's what you wanted." He sighed, then clasped my hand. His thumb caressing my knuckles. "What the heck, Sweet. I never stopped loving you. Let's give ourselves another chance. Stavrakos is no good for you, he'll ditch you for another girl once he's tired of you. He's a walking red flag."

Of course I knew that. I had been telling that to myself every single time. But when I'm with Sebastian, oh God, I tend to forget everything. The excitement he brought to me was so intense, and my body's reaction was beyond my control.