31 | The truth

"Thank you," I let out as the beige man helped me carry the gift he gave me to my penthouse. We walked into the great room and I gestured him to put the box on the sofa.

He dropped the box and averted his gaze to the empty wall where Siren's portrait used to be hung. "Erm-do you want a drink or coffee or..." I trailed off.

He glanced at me and shook his head. "No, I must get back home to my daughter," He said. I opposed going to see her because of the way I was dressed when we arrived at the building. "Nice place by the way," He said while scanning the room with his eyes.

"Thank you," That was probably the Millionth time I've uttered the word 'Thank you' in the past hour. It wasn't like me to say any one of the five magic words so often.

I'll rephrase that,

It wasn't like me to say any one of the five magic words so often and genuinely mean it. I guess money could change people. If it wasn't for the Artémís bag, I wouldn't have been repeating the word.

"You kept saying thank you when I'm the one who should be saying it," He mumbled while staring at the floor. "Thank you, Wraya," He averted his gaze to my face and said.

We stayed quiet, just staring at each other's eyes without any intention of breaking eye contact. "Ahh," I breathed out. "I never got your name," That moment was when I realized I named him 'the beige man' in my head.

"Wait, you don't know my name? Why don't you guess," He tucked his hands into his pants pocket and said, still staring at me?

I gulped hard before responding, "The Beige Man?" I let out causing a chuckle to erupt from his lips. "Seriously?" He asked.

"I mean, you're always wearing brown and beige colours. Even now, you're wearing brown slacks, a white shirt and a beige jacket. Anyone would have thought your name would be along the line of 'beige'," I said causing a louder chuckle to erupt from his lips.

"Did my words not make sense?" I had no idea I was already smiling at the man. "My name is Taehyung. Kim Taehyung," He declared.

I've known his name, now what?

"Well, I guess I'll leave now," He said and began to walk towards the door. "Wait!" I called.

So remember when I said I was starting to feel a little bit bold, yes! I had the idea of testing my luck. Knowing what exactly went down at Oniria that night. How he knew my mom-fuck, I haven't gone to see her in a long time. What the hell his job was?

He halted in his tracks and turned back, facing me. I could still spot a subtle smile on his face which confirmed to me that he was in a good mood.

"I heard you work at Chomrhade Holdings," I let out. So here's the thing. My dad used to work at Chomrhade Holdings before he got arrested for premeditated murder in the first degree and got sentenced to - years imprisonment.

We were staying in another state and he would only go to work a few times a month saying the company had a lot of staff and not all of them were required to be there every day and he was part of those that doesn't have to be there.

-and when he does go, he stays overnight,

He earned shit loads of money which made the whole thing suspicious but Mom, Saya and I didn't say anything because the company was well known all around the country and everyone was aware of how hard it was to work at that particular finance company.

Then suddenly, he got arrested for Murder and when we asked him how it happened, and why he did it, he replied "I made my choices because that is who I am,".

Selfish...That's who he was.

Not only was he rotting in prison, the entire family had to suffer for what he did. Mom had a mental illness and Saya died. What did we ever do to him to deserve the hell he put us through?

"Yeah?" He breathed out.

"My dad used to work at Chomrhade Holdings," I said and the subtle smile immediately vanished from his lips and was replaced by a look I couldn't fathom.

"Where is he now?" He asked and took a few steps closer to me.

"Doesn't matter...How did you know about my mom in the hospital?" I asked. He stayed quiet for a few seconds, scanning my face before responding.

"You have no idea what your dad does, do you?" He answered my question with a question. The air around us grew thicker as he spoke.

What did my dad do? He was an office manager that was later arrested for premeditated murder. The beige man-Kim Taehyung was a project manager that killed some Russians.

"What are you-what is he-," My words came out as gibberish as realisation hit me. The reason why Chomrhade Holdings was hard to work at was that the company wasn't a real one but a criminal organisation. That was why they paid a humongous amount of money. That was why my dad always went overnight.

"I made my choices because that is who I am," He was a killer. My father, Reynolds Kelvin Jr was a cold-blooded killer and all the money he spent on us was blood money.

The money used to buy the Artémís bag was also blood money.

"Does your daughter know?" That was the first meaningful words that came out of my mouth because I also used to be in Reality's position and I felt angry at the fact that he didn't tell us the truth, till the end. I felt rattled and betrayed, more than I did when the cops broke into our house and cuffed his hands.

Maybe I needed to pay my dad a visit in prison.

"She does," He simply stated. "I guess you must now have figured out how I found out about your mom in the hospital,"

"How does she know? She can't know, she's a child," I let out stammering, steering back to Reality.

"I prefer honestly," He said. "Look, I didn't mean to threaten you back then with your mom. It's just, we have this rule that says 'kill anyone that witnesses a mission being carried out' and I just didn't want to-you know. Threatening you was the only way I thought was the best to get you to keep your mouth shut,"